Aftermarket, universal blades or OEM ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always had mediocre experiences with Bosch wipers and spark plugs.

The wipers work well when they're new, but don't last long.

I was using Bosch-made, then Trico-made OE refills, on OE frames. The latter were cheaper and more durable.

Winter of 2010, decided to try a pair of the Good Year beam blades they sell at Costco, since the OE frames were worn out. No complaints, and the GYs still on the car.

Hard to beat $9 for a pair when they go on sale (coupon).

I find the Acura inserts wonderful. I don't think I would buy anything else.

Subaru on the other hand used garbage OEM. The dealer would replace them every 6months under the 36k warranty during oil changes.

For Japanese makes, OEM inserts are the best quality but generally a pain to thread them in. They also cost almost as much as good after market blades.

What do you people think of teflon blades? Just as expensive as any other good brand of rubber or silicone ti- I mean blades. Although to me it seems like teflon wouldn't actually improve the wiping ability.

I like the Kleenview blades they sell at AAP. Great quality for a cheap price. Even cheaper if you buy online with a discount code. I have them on my truck and wife's car, they are all doing great this summer so far. 4 blades cost me about $22.00 with an online discount code, and the store is just up the street. Can't beat that price anywhere..

Originally Posted By: Donald
Or buy one new one every 3 months for the drivers, move drivers to passenger. My Dad did that in the 1960s. He may have never stopped I don't know.

Except some cars have different sized blades on each side.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: Donald
Or buy one new one every 3 months for the drivers, move drivers to passenger. My Dad did that in the 1960s. He may have never stopped I don't know.

Except most cars have different sized blades on each side.

fixed

I've been using OEM refills on both our cars. They are lasting about a year and perform way better than any that I've bought at the store. BTW, the OEM refills for both cars are made in Japan and seem to be very high quailty.

Originally Posted By: 1trilliondollars
...How can I tell what size I have? Is it a simple measurement or is there more to it?

Let a tape measure be your friend. It's simpler and takes less time (5 seconds) to measure your existing blade.

I'll often buy OEM; from Ford, I've been able to get them at the same or cheaper than other retail places. If there's any issue with fitment or performance, I stick to OEM. I've generally had good luck with various Bosch and Anco blades. Each vehicle is different, so it really depends. The F-150 will take any blade you throw at it and use it fine. The old Audi needed regular style (non-beam) blades, or it would miss portions of the glass. The old Town Car needed wipers from the dealer, since aftermarket ones (which ended up costing more anyhow) had the wrong size hole.

OEM for the Accord. I've tried several and none were nearly as good. Most streaked or chattered.

For the truck, aftermarket. Prefer Bosch.

For longevity, I wipe the blades every so often with a clean rag and silicon spray. Keeps the rubber soft, clean, and pliable.

I only use OEM blade rubber. In the case of both of our vehicles, OEM Honda refills. They last for years in the southern NC sun and storms. Nothing else lasts.

I am going to try oem on the Camry next time. I have never had oem since we bought it. Haven't really found any aftermarkets that I just love but haven't spent much money either so that could the problem. Have mainly been using rain x or Michelin blades. Last a year or so.

Have used Honda oem replacement inserts on the Pilot and have been happy, so will probably stick with that. Only get about a year out of those too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back