Aftermarket, universal blades or OEM ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which do you use? Growing up my parents were always convinced that using wiper blades from your car's manufacturer was best because obviously they're more made to conform to the windshield versus universal wipers that try to incorporate the average and everything else. I see people on other automotive forums recommending Bosch icon wiper blades, or Rain-X (looking at the reviews, no.), or something else that's universal. Are they really as good as ones you'd get from your dealer?

Dealer blades are made by the same people that make the parts store ones...Anco,Trico,Bosch,Valeo you just pay the high dealer price at the dealer.If you like the blades on there now,find out the brand and try to match them up at whatever parts store sells that brand/model.
Be aware some newer vehicles,especially European ones(BMW..etc),have weird attaching mechanisms,and some are not available anywhere but the dealer.

I don't particularly like them, but they're acceptable. There's a lot of smearing and it seems to just glide over water instead of wiping it off when there's a lot of rain. Any opinions on what to get?

I get the OEM ones for my Volvo because one has a wing on it and the other has a upward curve to it that I have not seen in the aftermarket.

The Mustang and my mom's Grand Marquis get the Motorcraft ones simply because I work at the dealer and with employee pricing they are cheaper than aftermarket. Plus it is one less stop to make on the way home.

OEM ones are typically made by a big company like NWB (Nippon Wiper Blade), SWF/Valeo, or Bosch.

In the aftermarket, I would stick with Bosch. Avoid gimmicky silicone blades.

I used to always use whatever I could find at AutoZone, Walmart, etc. But, my ES came with OEM blades and they are amazing. I may start using OEM blades in all of my cars.

Also, my manual says nothing about wiper blades, I assume because they want you to have to go over to the dealer and pay $50 per blade. How can I tell what size I have? Is it a simple measurement or is there more to it?

Originally Posted By: 1trilliondollars
...using wiper blades from your car's manufacturer was best because obviously they're more made to conform to the windshield versus universal wipers....

Except in a few specific instances, I have never observed any evidence that OEM blades are "obviously" more conforming. I have been changing out OEM blades with aftermarket products on dozens of vehicles for over 6 decades and never once encountered any difference with conforming to the application. In most or all scenarios, the reputable aftermarket blades are at the least equal to or superior to OEM blades. There is such an excess of flexibility built into both OEM and aftermarket blades that conformance is not an issue.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Avoid silicone blades if you enjoy replacing your wipers every year. Sure they cost more, but many will last 5-10 years and put a nice water beading coating on the windshield.

Originally Posted By: Christopher Hussey
Originally Posted By: dparm

Avoid silicone blades if you enjoy replacing your wipers every year. Sure they cost more, but many will last 5-10 years and put a nice water beading coating on the windshield.

That's what Rain-X is for. But I like silicone, well depending on what or WHO it's put on
48.gif

To me it seems like Silicone would be good at moving water. Never knew silicone blades existed until this second.

I've had a pair of silicone Silblades on my Mazda for at least 5 years...still great. The ones I put on my Ranger last year are equally as good but squeal a bit when there is just a mist of rain....

Also, my manual says nothing about wiper blades, I assume because they want you to have to go over to the dealer and pay $50 per blade. How can I tell what size I have? Is it a simple measurement or is there more to it?

Go here: http://mywiperblades.com

And, just pick what car you have, and it'll tell you what size.

Originally Posted By: hypervish

Only goes to 2010. Although I guess the windshield couldn't have changed much in 2 years.

Originally Posted By: hypervish

Only goes to 2010. Although I guess the windshield couldn't have changed much in 2 years.

Parts stores will have an application book, Rock auto should ahve listings. The size in inches is usually somewhere in the part number. There are some vehicles that use proprietary connectors what basically force you to use OEM.

I have never bought a pair of OEM blades for any of the four cars in our family. I don't like having to make side trips to the dealer parts departments and a lot of the times they're a rip off for standard blades. I hear Honda owners rave about the dealer replacements a lot.

My favorite blades so far are:
Rain-X Latitude (expensive)
Valeo SmartBlade (Sam's exclusive)
Trico Neoform (expensive)
Rain-X Weatherbeaters (haven't had them long enough to tell)

Tried the Bosch Microedge Excel before but found them to be underwhelming for the price. The Michelin ones at Walmart suck.

I think the best part of OE wiper systems is that your windscreen is fresh, new, and not pitted. The springs in the arms still have good tension.

I'm not a snob at all; liked Pylon from walmart and now they have Anco. Got some beam blades from advance as a coupon filler but forget the brand; they are better in the winter than "winter" blades that are ridiculously stiff and awful.

I've had really good luck with Bosch Icon beam blades, even the cheaper ones from walmart have lasted more than a year. I have tried Rain X Latitudes and they only lasted about 6 months. On my old beater 89 Pontiac Sunbird I had a few years back, I always tried to find the cheapest blades possible, which led me to Pylons at walmart, not too bad for the price.

Consumer Reports ranked them several months ago. I think its posted here. Few will last over 6 months. Better off getting decent ones and changing at 6 months than top of the line every year. Or buy one new one every 3 months for the drivers, move drivers to passenger. My Dad did that in the 1960s. He may have never stopped I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back