Science Behind Mobil 1 used in NASCAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living in nascar country, I once worked with the engine builder of a well known race team that had a major oil company sponsorship. They didnt use the sponsors oil in thier engines. The builder would only use mobil 1 in their engines. Team owner had a nhra team too

Quote:
For Stewart’s car, formulators create a special blend designed to reduce friction and increase engine power with the goal of improving lap times.

And I thought they ran the same thing that we buy since they pour it out of the same bottles as we get???
shocked2.gif

I bet you are talking about Joe Gibbs Racing.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Living in nascar country, I once worked with the engine builder of a well known race team that had a major oil company sponsorship. They didnt use the sponsors oil in thier engines. The builder would only use mobil 1 in their engines. Team owner had a nhra team too

Hmm the same thing a friend who studied race engines in England, told me about F1 racing, even if they had Castrol sponsorship they were still using M1

Well Big Al told of the time when Al Unser would pour out his sponsors oil in the bottles and use Amsoil in the engines and bottles of Brand X oil that sponsored Al Unser....wonder if it was Mobil?

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2

Well Big Al told of the time when Al Unser would pour out his sponsors oil in the bottles and use Amsoil in the engines and bottles of Brand X oil that sponsored Al Unser....wonder if it was Mobil?

There is a video somewhere that has Bobby Unser actually telling this story. To be fair, I believe that Amsoil sponsored Bobby at that time.

The point is that the stories of teams putting thier favorite oil (whatever special brew it might be) in sponsor bottles are common.

Don

In the early 90s the Brayton engineering V6 Buicks used in Indy cars used M1 in all of their engines even though QS was the on board sponser for one car. This came fron one of the machinist who worked there.

Quote:
It all starts at the technical center’s blending lab, where roughly 500 blends are produced a month. A dedicated group of blending techs mixes 15 to 20 different components (the average number used in a Mobil 1 formulation) in batches ranging from 250 milliliters to 5 gallons

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/the-science-an...l#ixzz22yiknAF2

Wow, 500 blends a month.
crazy2.gif

I wonder if I can get a tour? I live 30 minutes from this place.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
It all starts at the technical center’s blending lab, where roughly 500 blends are produced a month. A dedicated group of blending techs mixes 15 to 20 different components (the average number used in a Mobil 1 formulation) in batches ranging from 250 milliliters to 5 gallons

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/the-science-an...l#ixzz22yiknAF2

Wow, 500 blends a month.
crazy2.gif

I wonder if I can get a tour? I live 30 minutes from this place.
grin.gif

He's back!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back