Dodge leaving Nascar at end of season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw it happening as soon as Penske announced the switch to Ford. Plus Penske built all of Dodge's NASCAR motors, so they needed to find a competent engine builder as well if they didn't trust Penske to do it for them.

That sucks because the 2013 Charger they were going to put in the series looked sweet.

Nascar as a sport probably won't last another 10 years. I used to be a fan and went to many races around the country. The last race I've been to was probably in the mid 1990's and I haven't watched a race since Toyota got involved. They raised the prices, alienated their core supporters to try to expand, the restrictor plates etc... and I really think it is boring to watch.

Last edited:
In reality NASCAR is losing much of its fan base, and the "cars" are only a fiberglass shell that bears a remote resemblance to a street car. There is no real sport in NASCAR, it's nothing more than a huge commercial.

There used to be a saying-win on Sunday and sell on Monday. That no longer holds true, as more savvy consumers realize that what's on the track isn't what is in the showroom.

If Dodge wants to pursue an aging, white male demographic then NASCAR might be a good bet. But if they want to spend their advertising budget (and NASCAR is nothing more than a gigantic commercial) somewhere that will target younger, long term buyers, then there are far better venues than NASCAR. Getting out of NASCAR makes a lot of sense.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Nascar as a sport probably won't last another 10 years. I used to be a fan and went to many races around the country. The last race I've been to was probably in the mid 1990's and I haven't watched a race since Toyota got involved. They raised the prices, alienated their core supporters to try to expand, the restrictor plates etc... and I really think it is boring to watch.

I actually started to watch more when toyota got involved; makes sense that the company that makes the most popular sedan (camry) should be in car racing.
restrictor plates? they've been around 25 years! you're still bitter about that?

I stopped watching once Toyota came in, they have the most$$$ to throw at it and the only reason they are in is because they want to pretend they are an American company.

I didnt know Camrys are rear wheel drive with a V8
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
In reality NASCAR is losing much of its fan base, and the "cars" are only a fiberglass shell that bears a remote resemblance to a street car. There is no real sport in NASCAR, it's nothing more than a huge commercial.

There used to be a saying-win on Sunday and sell on Monday. That no longer holds true, as more savvy consumers realize that what's on the track isn't what is in the showroom.

If Dodge wants to pursue an aging, white male demographic then NASCAR might be a good bet. But if they want to spend their advertising budget (and NASCAR is nothing more than a gigantic commercial) somewhere that will target younger, long term buyers, then there are far better venues than NASCAR. Getting out of NASCAR makes a lot of sense.

This. Extremely well stated.

I lost interest in NASCAR way back when the cars became purpose-built racers rather than modified "stock" cars.

As an aside on restrictor plates, I worked for a garage when I was a teenager that sponsored (and built) a stock car for the local track. For some races, the track instituted a restrictor policy that said you either had to run the plate or a 2 bbl carb. So my garage went out and found the biggest Holley 2 bbl I've ever seen. That thing had bores the size of the secondaries on a Rochester Q-Jet. It flowed almost as well as the 850 Holley double pumper they normally used.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
I stopped watching once Toyota came in, they have the most$$$ to throw at it and the only reason they are in is because they want to pretend they are an American company.

wink.gif

I didn't know the taurus and impalas were RWD w/ V8's either.

NASCAR IS A BUSINESS. Toyota is a BUSINESS. and LOTS of Americans buy Toyotas, and lots of Americans watch NASCAR.

what is so hard to grasp about all of this?

Originally Posted By: VNTS

wink.gif

ANd FORDS ARE rear wheel drive with a V8? I thought they stopped making those. Maybe they should only let BAILED OUT car companies race in NASCAR.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Yeah, you could spend a ton of dough on a British soccer team instead. (Manchester United)

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
stopped making those. Maybe they should only let BAILED OUT car companies race in NASCAR.

not sure I understand that comment as ford wasnt bailed out?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
ANd FORDS ARE rear wheel drive with a V8? I thought they stopped making those. Maybe they should only let BAILED OUT car companies race in NASCAR.

Mustang still is
wink.gif
(and yes, I'm aware that the Mustang isn't used in Nascar, but then really, no "car" is)

Regardless, one of the bailed out companies is the one pulling out, so I'm not sure what your point is? That GM should have its own bailed-out racing league?

I'm no NASCAR fan by any stretch, but saying things like NASCAR isn't going to be around much longer and that nobody would care is downright comical, almost idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back