CUT OPEN Used defective Denso Toyota oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you pinch it, it will break. I'm talking about the ADBV BTW. I'll check out the bypass valve right now.

Last edited:
You had a bad filter thats what caused the noise as you know because now its quiet, it seems obvious.
The oil viscosity was well within manufacturers specs for your environment, thicker oil is generally a non issue in VVT systems anyway.

The hole in the filter probably let some junk float around in the engine, i would definitely clean the VVT filter screen if it uses one (it probable does). Its usually not a big job.

Here's a pic of the bypass valve after I cleaned it. The spring was still strong. And there was no noticeable deposits in the valve itself.

2n9eqmu.jpg

A bad filter for sure. Probably a counterfeit. The bypass spring cage looks poorly made. Nothing like that will come out of Japan. Some one was making these for $3 and selling them for $15-25, that is the retail of that part number. It says Made in Japan, and I am a Alien from the Sirius star cluster. Doesn't make it true.

How many miles were on that filter?
There are splits in the metal in the fourth photograph. Unless you caused them by accident, this does not look like a Toyota filter. Also the base plate does not look kosher.

I think in Venezuela 15W-50 oil will work fine, unless mostly the vehicle is driven at the higher altitudes, of which Venezuela has some that beat anything in the USA outside of Alaska. But I don't know if you drive to the highlands.

Where do you drive and how cold does it get? Valencia is on the coast.

The filter had about 5k miles on it. The temperature here is in the 90's and I always have to red line it to get any power out of it. I only have 83 BHP.

Well, with the 10w-30 you just might get a tiny bit more HP!
banana2.gif

By the way, great effort and contribution. Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

PS: I like that you confirmed your vehicle was not the one in the ditch.
grin2.gif

He changed the filter and the oil weight at the same time? If so the findings are inconclusive. My response was to that video. What exactly was making that noise. startup vvt-i controller tick is well known. It can be caused by oil weight, clogging of the controller and clogged or defective oil filter that has a bypass/adbv problem, etc. Oil weight as in the speed the controller can gain hydraulic oil pressure after the engine has started. A thick oil may take a second or two to flow through the narrow oil gallies of the vvt-i system, hence the 1-2 second tick tick. But once its running, there is no ill effect of a thicker oil. Looking at the recommended weights on that sheet 5w30 looks fine to me. Its gone now so thats all that matters.

I'm going to stick with the manufacture's factory fill of 10w30 until I move to someplace colder IF I do that. But now since the noise is gone I will keep using 10w30 Synthetic.

great pics. I agree with others in thinking that is a counterfeit denso filter.

that or denso quality control has going seriously down hill.

I think a quality 30 or 40 weight would serve you well.

very interesting to see the viscosity spread in the owner manual. As long as it is slippery your good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back