Mobil1 0W50 Racing Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this oil just unsuitable for street cars because of the potential damage to cat converters?

I'm trying to find a bit more information on this oil. Planning on getting the BMW ready to start racing but debating if I should just stick with the Castrol or go with the more ZDDP Mobil1.

M1RACING FAQ: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Racing_Oil_FAQs.aspx

"You say that Mobil 1 Racing oils are not for street use. Why is that? Does that mean I can't use these oils if my race car is also my daily driver?

Automotive street use oils that meet the latest industry standards are required to have a lower level of Zinc and Phosphorus anti-wear chemistries than oils formulated years ago. The latest automotive street use engine oils are designed to be compatible with emission control equipment. Mobil 1 Racing oils are formulated with anti-wear (Zinc/Phosphorus) chemistries at twice the level of automotive street oils to provide enhanced protection of highly loaded valve train systems found in some race engines. Based on the high level of anti-wear chemistries, Mobil 1 Racing oils are not recommended for street use."

So.....2 questions are answered here:

1) It is not recommended due to cat converters on the street
2) You probably don't need it in the BMW b/c it's not a highly-loaded flat-tappet design.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: r34dy2fly
Is this oil just unsuitable for street cars because of the potential damage to cat converters?

I'm trying to find a bit more information on this oil. Planning on getting the BMW ready to start racing but debating if I should just stick with the Castrol or go with the more ZDDP Mobil1.

Zinc = 1850ppm, Phosphorous = 1750ppm
(street 0w40 is 1000ppm, 1100ppm, respectively)

I'd say that's enough to cause problems.

BTW I asked some similar questions recently about it too:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2045060

I still have some SL rated 15w50 red cap Mobil 1 that was the cat's meow a few years back. If you were closer I would give it to you.

Originally Posted By: brentalan
M1RACING FAQ: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Racing_Oil_FAQs.aspx

"You say that Mobil 1 Racing oils are not for street use. Why is that? Does that mean I can't use these oils if my race car is also my daily driver?

Automotive street use oils that meet the latest industry standards are required to have a lower level of Zinc and Phosphorus anti-wear chemistries than oils formulated years ago. The latest automotive street use engine oils are designed to be compatible with emission control equipment. Mobil 1 Racing oils are formulated with anti-wear (Zinc/Phosphorus) chemistries at twice the level of automotive street oils to provide enhanced protection of highly loaded valve train systems found in some race engines. Based on the high level of anti-wear chemistries, Mobil 1 Racing oils are not recommended for street use."

So.....2 questions are answered here:

1) It is not recommended due to cat converters on the street
2) You probably don't need it in the BMW b/c it's not a highly-loaded flat-tappet design.

Also, even though they do not mention it, I once heard that since this is considered a TRUE race oil, it has a MUCH reduced (if not absent altogether) detergent pack.
What IS suprising though is that IF the above is true, it still has a VERY high TBN for a race oil (I'm guessing to handle extreme fuel dilution??).

I know of drag racers that would boil their oil in a pot after a race to reduce the alcohol dilution, cool and pour it back in the engine.

Originally Posted By: r34dy2fly

Based on the relative low levels of ZDDP in the TWS 10W-60 and other BMW spec' oils your M3 doesn't require it in high doses.
But the main and most importtant difference between M1 R 0W-50 and the TWS 10W-60 you're using now is that the M1 oil is massively lighter with a 3.8cP HTHSV vs 5.3cP for the TWS.
M1 0W-40 is just as heavy as the M1 R 0W-50 race oil and still with more ZDDP than TWS.
If you can maintain the minimum optimum oil pressure that's spec'd for you Bimmer on track when the oil is as hot as it ever gets with M1 0W-40 that's the preferred oil to use between the two brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back