Gen Tent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this product on line because I was looking for some kind of protection when using my generator in the rain.It is called Gen Tent, and the president Mark Carpenter is a terrific guy. He was so helpful with my question`s before I bought it. You see I am new to this portable generator stuff (the gen sets in the army were totally different) and after We bought our`s I figured I`d ask the Honda dealer if it is safe to use it in the rain. I had forgotten to ask him the day I picked it up. Any way, he replied ABSOLUTELY NOT!! It is not designed for use in the rain. I thought to myself huh, that seems pretty stupid. I mean your not always going to be operating this thing in clear weather. Hence my search for protection, and found Gen Tent. Now I can use it in all sort of weather.
smile.gif
Figured I`d share my find with you guy`s who have been wondering how to safely operate your gen in foul weather.

Ryan

P.S I`m not involved with Mark in any way other than buying this product. Not trying to sell this product, just wanted to put the word out there for you guy`s Since I am very satisfied.

Last edited:
The item is this

I simply made a small enclosure using 2x4 tied into a frame and a tarp from Harbor Freight. Cost of materials under 50.

I have an 3 year old china made 2200 watt, 3.9 gal gas unit. I covered it up with a large plastic tub from wally world and put bungie cords on it and it held up.. It must have over a 100,000 miles on it when it was on my van, rain, snow and pot holes. It was mounted on a platform on van, rear bumper, sever use to say the least.

LOL! Wow.. I guess a really nice generator needs a really nice bonnet.

The cost of the "Gen Tent" is more than some import gen sets themselves!

If anything, I'll throw the picnic table (or the likes) over the top of mine for protection.

Joel

Well, There is a difference between "It works" and "It works and looks good!"

It really doesn't look like it would provide much protection at all if the rain or snow is blowing sideways even a little bit.

I have a thick plastic tarp that fits over our large swing set, and the fence in the back of the yard. Lines of proper length are attached, and black Sharpie shows up well on green plastic to note what corner of the tarp goes where. Plenty of space for air to move, and plenty of protection from rain and snow.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I used to open the garage door about 3 feet and put the generator (exhaust pointing out) even with the door. Then chain my Rottweiler to it.

Why the Rottweiler, to see when he dies first?

If you're trying to kill your family this is a good way to do it. Depending on how the wind is blowing it can create a negative pressure in the house and draw the exhaust inside.

People have almost died from carbon monoxide poisoning by simply having a small generator running outdoors, but too close to the house.

You definitely don't want one running for hours on end anywhere near an open, attached garage unless you've got CO detectors everywhere in your house.

Small non-pollution controlled engines like these pour out a horrendous amount of CO, unburnt hydrocarbons, etc.. even the latest OHV/OHC.

Joel

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Originally Posted By: Donald
I used to open the garage door about 3 feet and put the generator (exhaust pointing out) even with the door. Then chain my Rottweiler to it.

Why the Rottweiler, to see when he dies first?

If you're trying to kill your family this is a good way to do it. Depending on how the wind is blowing it can create a negative pressure in the house and draw the exhaust inside.

The Rottweiler was to prevent theft. I had CO2 detectors in the room adjacent to the garage.

Originally Posted By: irq3
Is the Gen Tent flammable? Most tarp like covers are oil based and highly combustible.

That I dont know.

Out of curiosity, I contacted the manufacturer and here is their response:
Quote:
It is vinyl coated polyester and not flammable. It has a melting point of around 200 degrees, so if you put it right in front of the exhaust it will melt…but the design keeps it far away from that level of heat. Thanks for your interest in the GenTent. Mark

Originally Posted By: irq3
Out of curiosity, I contacted the manufacturer and here is their response:
Quote:
It is vinyl coated polyester and not flammable. It has a melting point of around 200 degrees, so if you put it right in front of the exhaust it will melt…but the design keeps it far away from that level of heat. Thanks for your interest in the GenTent. Mark

Mark is a very nice guy to work with. I know some of the guy`s think it is over priced. But my options were limited. And this fit`s my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back