Honda MTF fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 91 civic with almost 300k miles on it. The manual says to use regular 5w-30 oil in it. But I was thinking of putting some of the Manual Transmission fluid from honda in it.

If the MTF fluid is not advised what kind of oil should I use? Synthetic, Blend, or Conventional?

I think the manual says to use 5w30 if you don't have MTF available. I would use the proper gear fluid for this vehicle. Of course the MTF's are not nearly as picky as auto's but I still would use the Honda fluid or equivalent.

In my three manual transmissions, I use Amsoil in one and Redline in the other two. Redline worked best in my Acura and Honda but Amsoil worked the best in my Nissan.

The Honda MTF was too thin and I got a lot of scraps going from 1st to 2nd that went away with the RL.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
In my three manual transmissions, I use Amsoil in one and Redline in the other two. Redline worked best in my Acura and Honda but Amsoil worked the best in my Nissan.

The Honda MTF was too thin and I got a lot of scraps going from 1st to 2nd that went away with the RL.

Amsoil was hands down better in my Nissan manual as well. MT-90 was not even close.
I have been reading though that a fair amount of people prefer Redline for the Honda manual trans. I have some at home waiting for when I do my next oil change for my Civic. Will report back to this thread if I can remember. The Amsoil in the Civic feels good but I think there is room for improvement if what I am reading about the Redline MTL is true.

You should not use Honda MTF (because it's too thin) in older Hondas that had motor oil specd. Royal Purple does not recommend their Synchromesh MTF neither. They give you a racing/xpr 5W-30 if I remember well.
The first 2 years Amsoil MTF feels better in the winter than Red Line but you get GL-4 protection with the MTL. I would say RedLine for track use and Amsoil for street.

Or...go with a non friction modified GL-1 fluid like any motorcyle oil or Heavy Dudy Diesel oil. Amsoil also makes a tractor hydraulic fluid that's 5W-30 ... that works too. I friend of my used it with success.

So the amsoil mtf would be better to get? I hear that regular motor oil might not work as well for the syncros due to friction fighting additives

Dedicatd manual trans fluid is best.
Great wear protection, and specially modified for good friction for the synchros.

But for a 20 year old car with 300k on it, what are your future expectations? Cheap motor oil may be justified here.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Great wear protection, and specially modified for good friction for the synchros.

But for a 20 year old car with 300k on it, what are your future expectations? Cheap motor oil may be justified here.

Cheap motor oil in the name of economy? I suppose, but if his Honda is anything like my 18 year old accord, it's worth every penny to keep this vintage of Honda on the road with quality fluids. They are cheap to insure, bullet proof, and still getting good efficiency (30 for my Accord) despite the milage. I fully intend to run past the 300k mark and am currently using amsoil MTF but it shifted fine on Honda type2 MTF as well.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

Cheap motor oil in the name of economy? I suppose, but if his Honda is anything like my 18 year old accord, it's worth every penny to keep this vintage of Honda on the road with quality fluids. They are cheap to insure, bullet proof, and still getting good efficiency (30 for my Accord) despite the milage. I fully intend to run past the 300k mark and am currently using amsoil MTF but it shifted fine on Honda type2 MTF as well.
So you think the Amsoil would be fine for this car? That is about the same viscosity as 5w-30 right?

Also I get about 41mpg on my civic so the mileage is great. Plus with no power steering or A/C working on the car is easy as pie sometimes.

I guess we can't edit on this forum. Huh still a bit new here, so sorry for the double post. I am concerned that amsoil doesn't reccomend this for the car. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx

As recommended earlier.

EDIT: The car takes 10w30/40 for all year round. Which viscosity should I get?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bk7794
I own a 91 civic with almost 300k miles on it. The manual says to use regular 5w-30 oil in it. But I was thinking of putting some of the Manual Transmission fluid from honda in it.

If the MTF fluid is not advised what kind of oil should I use? Synthetic, Blend, or Conventional?

Amsoil MTF

Quote:
Replaces Honda Genuine MTF fluid for manual transaxles

I own a 91 civic with almost 300k miles on it. The manual says to use regular 5w-30 oil in it.

No, the manual specifies 10W-30 or 10W40 engine oil.

10W-30/40 engine oil was specified until about 1994-1995, when spark-ignition engine oils were reconfigured for OBD-II emissions controls. at that point, certain additives were reduced in the interest of protecting the catalytic converter. Unfortunately, Honda had been relying on those additives to protect the gears and synchros in the transmission. Honda's solution was to issue its own, specially-formulated, Manual Transmission Fluid.

But I was thinking of putting some of the Manual Transmission fluid from honda in it.

That's the best stuff you can use.

^That, plus this...

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

^Amsoil or Red Line MTL. Toss-up.

I'm using Amsoil MTF in my 92 Civic hatch; 5-speed M/T, and it's working great. I have not used the Red Line MTL, which is slightly thicker, IIRC.

Also, since Pablo is an Amsoil site sponsor use his links instead of the first one linked earlier.
thumbsup2.gif

I am a huge fan of using dedicated modern manual trans fluids.
In this case, even I would consider cheaper alternatives. [Since 300k is really stretching it.]

@Tegger Right, I corrected myself like 5 posts down. I don't know what I was thinking.

I am just going to get regular motor oil. Not for cheapness sake, but it is what the manual says and it is probably the only thing that has ever been in there. Plus if I don't like it I can always change it for the Amsoil or genuine stuff.

Last edited:
I am just going to get regular motor oil. Not for cheapness sake, but it is what the manual says

The manual is outdated. Do not use motor oil. Read my other post.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Why are you changing it? Has it ever been changed?

The manual says to change it every 30K. It is not a good idea to fail to observe the factory specification.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I'd do what has been working for 300k miles and continue to do that.

I've been changing mine every 30K (or more often) with Genuine Honda MTF, and at almost 390K, it still shifts quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back