Castrol GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of you here using this oil? I see a few recent comments about motor`s not staying clean on this oil. I have some in my stash, and the last time I used it I was pleased with it`s performance. Thinking about using it my next oci. What do you guy`s think? This is the SN formula with tri shield.

Last edited:
I've been using it for years and my Explorer's v8 was opened up recently for a head gasket job and the mechanic said it was "very clean" inside. Though I did notice on my new Focus's direct injected 2.0L it's looking pretty dark at about 5k miles. That could be due to engine break in, I don't know. I changed the factory fill at 1,500 miles with GTX, now at 6,500 miles.

In any case I'm switching to Motorcraft Synth Blend or maybe Kendall Synth Blend, both of which seem to get great reviews on here.

Have used Castrol GTX on and off for 40 years. The one general comment I would make that covers all those years and the different formulations is they they did a good job of keeping the engine clean. I'm not brand-centric any more, but my comment today is that it's a little overpriced nowadays for its capabilities but a good oil nonetheless.

Originally Posted By: kam327
...In any case I'm switching to Motorcraft Synth Blend or maybe Kendall Synth Blend, both of which seem to get great reviews on here.

MC and Kendall syn blends are very similar formulations by ConocoPhillips. I continue to use MC with great satisfaction in two vehicles, but I currently favor the GT-1 titanium dose in my Veloster.

Some folks report difficulty locating Kendall and/or pay elevated prices for online sources. I buy GT-1 5W20 syn blend at $44.40/case FOB my local CP distributor.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
GTX very good oil. But a bit overpriced.

Yeah that is a common complaint here about it.

I've used 5w20 & 5w30 on several occasions. I think all oil is overpriced if not on sale, so I have no comment there. I do think the grades I've used is that it may be a bit thicker than most other brands within grade.

The only oil I really ever "stuck" with was GTX. I used it consistently in 3-4 cars for several years, never a problem or complaint.

The police department here has run dino GTX exclusively for decades and they have many, many high mileage (hard miles) vehicles.

Really? I buy it for around $15.50 at Walmart which is maybe 50 cents more than Pennzoil.

It is closer to 17 dollars here in a 5qt jug. That puts it around 2 dollars more than Pennzoil. The single qt price is around 40 cents more a quart. So the cost of GTX can very easily be 10% more than Pennzoil everyday price.

I have used it in all my vehicles since i was too young to drive.I have never lost a engine and i never had one that used any oil really to speak of.I had a grand am that needed a radiator, when you filled it it would get air pockets. I ran that motor hot so many times I expected it to rattle when i re- started it but nothing.I even bought a spare engine but never needed it. Car had [censored] near 220,000 when i gave it to my ex.That was with a quad 4.I have to think Castrol helped.

We used GTX in our Grand Marquis for 200k miles and the engine stayed very clean with minimal oil consumption up to the 265k mark. It served the car's 4.6L very well.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
We used GTX in our Grand Marquis for 200k miles and the engine stayed very clean with minimal oil consumption up to the 265k mark. It served the car's 4.6L very well.

Now thats impressive information coming from a synthetic crazy person. jk
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dave1251
It is closer to 17 dollars here in a 5qt jug. That puts it around 2 dollars more than Pennzoil. The single qt price is around 40 cents more a quart. So the cost of GTX can very easily be 10% more than Pennzoil everyday price.

Must depend on your region. I'm looking at walmart.com right now and Quaker is 14.88, Pennzoil YB is 15.47, and GTX is 15.97. So it's about 20 cents a quart more than the cheapest.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Have used Castrol GTX on and off for 40 years. The one general comment I would make that covers all those years and the different formulations is they they did a good job of keeping the engine clean. I'm not brand-centric any more, but my comment today is that it's a little overpriced nowadays for its capabilities but a good oil nonetheless.

There are a few members here who think just the opposite about Castrol keeping engines clean. I found it to work very well at keeping engines clean. I was using it along with PYB when I started driving back in the 70's. I found it to be a very good oil.

My only disappointment with them was the recent change Edge went through from API SM to SN. It looks worse on paper, at least their 0W20 does. JMO

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy

Now thats impressive information coming from a synthetic crazy person. jk
grin.gif

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back