mobilmet 426 alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post so thank you very much for having me . I have a customer that is using mobilmet 426 and would like to know if there is a less expensive oil to use in place of the Mobilmet 426?

Or maybe someone can point me to a competitve data site so I can do some research on it .

I am not using it . It is my customer that is using it and would like to find something comparable , yet cheaper .

This is from the Mobil website .

Mobilmet 420 Series fluids are recommended for a wide range of machining operations on all types of metals. They can be used as multi-purpose oils when a common fluid is required for machine tool lubrication and as a hydraulic fluid assuming proper viscosity selection.

•Mobilmet 423 and Mobilmet 424 are recommended for machining aluminum, magnesium and copper, brasses and bronzes and, in addition, are recommended for steels and cast irons having a Brinell hardness up to 200. They can be used for severe cutting operations of difficult-to-machine non-ferrous alloys such as silicon-copper, silicon-bronze and copper-nickel. They are very effective lubricants for the machine tool lubrication system under a wide range of temperature conditions
•Mobilmet 426 and Mobilmet 427 are recommended for critical machining of non-ferrous metals and automatic operations on materials having a Brinell hardness up to about 300

In order to make a proper recommendation, the exact application needs to be known. Additionally, Mobilmet 426 may or may not be the best or proper mobil product?.?

OK , I am not a operator ,but I will try to explain . It is a computer operated machine that intruduces bar stock to it self . The machine is enclosed and has a head on it that can perform 8? different functions like drilling , tapping cutting and so on .The customer said his biggest concern was staining which the Mobilmet did not do . I think the material is brass .

The previous oil I had sold him was from a company in Warren Pa. and it was called EMBLEM Unicut EP150 .

These are its specs from their website

UNICUT EP
EMBLEM™ Unicut EP is a heavy duty cutting oil with sulphur and PNB (phosphorous, nitrogen and boron) added. The special wetting and EP agents insure superior surface finishes. It also features high heat dissipation, less smoke, good tool life and minimum oil carry-off on metal chips and work piece.

Typical Properties

GRADE EP70 EP150 EP200 EP250
Viscosity, SUS @ 100 oF 60-80 130-150 195-210 240-260
Gravity oAPI 28.8 25.7 23.3 22.4
Flash Point COC oF Min. 300 355 380 390
Pour Point oF Max. - 40 - 30 - 20 -20
Color 6 8 8 8
Sulphur % wt. 0.9 .4 1.4 1.0
Lard Oil % wt. 0.6 1.0 3.0 3.0

Last edited:
I talked to the customer yesterday and this is the info I got from him . He does not want to use soluble oils so that is out . The machines are Harding and Davenport . He considers them low pressure . The materials involved are brass and cold rolled steel . And yes , they are CNC machines .

I am not sure what you are getting at . I do not understand "bear" and when I click on your link , I get some sort of weird pop-up . Any description would help greatly .

OK, perhaps there's a viewability issue goin' on here, which we've all experienced at some point with certain quirky websites. So I've posted the entire post from some machinist dude at that machining message board:
There are several series of dual- (and triple-)purpose straight oils intended for use as cutting, lubricating (and hydraulic) oils. Modern ones are designed for minimal misting/smoking, non-staining of yellow metals, and minimal chlorine (and other disposal nuisances). They are most often used on screw machines that can't tolerate water-based coolants.

The Mobil Mobilmet 400 series is one example. (This replaces an older series named with greek letters like Omicron and Sigma.) Oils in this series are available in several viscosities. I happen to use Mobilmet 426, which is toward the thicker side. Chevron Bright-Cut NM and Citgo Autocut NC 425 are comparable products.

Note: not all dual-purpose oils are non-staining of brass and aluminum (low or no active sulfur), or non-chlorinated (alternative EP additives) so make sure you check for those properties if they're important to you.

On occasion, I have seen Mobilmet 404 (a fairly light oil) on sale at Enco. McMaster-Carr carries Mobilmet 426 and 766. For other dual-purpose oils, you will probably have to order through a local oil distributor. A good distributor will work with the oil company sales reps to figure out some specific recommendations for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back