WD-40 in the suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a big can of wd-40 and i took out the 4 wheels of my car (eclipse 2000) and i sprayed wd-40 on every parts of the suspension (shock absorbers,sway bar brushings,control arm conections,EVERYWHERE on the suspension)...My suspension had a noise everytime i ran over speedbumps,but now the noise is completly gone...i just want to ask if it was a good idea or wd-40 can screw something on my suspension?

Also,is there any other way to lubricate the whole mobile parts of the suspension?

Thanks

when it comes back in a week or so.. just spray a few at a time until you figure out what is squeaking.. then replace it.

Most of WD-40 is a carrier, not a lubricant. The carrier evaporates leaving a lubricant. I would not WD-40 on a weekly basis, but it should be OK as a diag. tool to find the culprit.

Fluid Film would work better for what you are trying to do.As a lubricant,WD40 is the pits.

WD=Water Dispersant. Water Dispersant 40. I would not insult my bicycle's chain with it, but I used to go through buckets of it when I owned my SeaDoos.

The stuff eats powder coating. You may want to rethink spraying it on anything with a finish you want to keep.

WD 40 will rinse off the first rain puddle you go through,,I found personally trying all the spray oils don't last at all unless it is a type of grease with can deteriorate some rubber bushings,,Overall i use what i found to work the longest and is easy on the rubber bushings is Transmission fluid in a oil can ,,It is highly water resistant ,,A small amount will spread into a large area

Originally Posted By: morris
WD-40 is good to flush out water from a Disturber cap. i know i cant spell. just live with it.

Darn morris just sound it out. Just giving u a hard time
smile.gif

" silicone spray" i am sure thats a good way. for some reason i dont think about it. TO: abcat i have been treated much worse. one time i thought i would find a site like BITOG. there is none NEAR as good. you cats are the best.

Originally Posted By: vtecboy
I just bought a big can of wd-40 and i took out the 4 wheels of my car (eclipse 2000) and i sprayed wd-40 on every parts of the suspension (shock absorbers,sway bar brushings,control arm conections,EVERYWHERE on the suspension)...My suspension had a noise everytime i ran over speedbumps,but now the noise is completly gone...i just want to ask if it was a good idea or wd-40 can screw something on my suspension?

Also,is there any other way to lubricate the whole mobile parts of the suspension?

Thanks

WD-40 is not a lubricant or penetrating agent, although most folks use it as one. As said above, it is a moisture displacing agent from the 1950s US missile program. You're just enjoying the temporary benefits of the carrier agent (which is what most folks use it for). Kerosene is cheaper.

On a newer vehicle, once you isolate the noise, the best solution is to replace the part. Unless it has lube fittings, these tend to be sealed and/or self lubricating. Spraying (or oiling) something will be a temporary fix at best.

Originally Posted By: heyu
WD 40 will rinse off the first rain puddle you go through,,I found personally trying all the spray oils don't last at all unless it is a type of grease with can deteriorate some rubber bushings

+1 oil will do this too in a hurry. I would not use WD40 more than once, for diagnosis.

Originally Posted By: mva
I like using silicone spray to get rid of suspension squeaks.

Same here, I spray my rubber bushings twice a year with Silicone spray.

WD40 solves creaking in my leaf springs for around 6 months then needs a recoat. That's not bad considering this is FL and I see alot of rain. Lots of good ideas in this thread. Basically, whatever works, just keep doing it.

Hello,

Update on this thread:
The squeaking noise is back, wd-40 was a waste of money...oh well it lasted about 2 weeks,but now the dammn noise is back. My dad said i added rust protection lol.

Last edited:
The best stuff I have ever found is called Ru-Glide. Lasts a long, long time. I forgot who makes it (one of the oil companies, Shell, Citgo, ect). A few parts stores carry it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back