Seafoam - my final recipe - will I damage anything with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, here is the final recipe I have come up with for my own "Seafoam" based on the MSDS.

2 parts 30 weight ND oil
1 part naptha
3/4 part 99% isopropyl alcohol

First, do you see any reason I shouldn't put this in my crankcase, gas tank, or pour it into my intake with the engine running as I do with seafoam? Does it sound to you like it would actually work? And finally, at what concentration do you recommend I use it in the gas tank/crankcase?

Thanks!

What do you want it to do?

I wouldn't put IPA in my crankcase.

And I kinda fail to see what it would do in my gas tank
dunno.gif

I want it to clean out the engine. I know Seafoam has those as the main ingredients, I'm not 100% sure they are the only ingredients. I do know that Seafoam does it's job VERY well, anybody who has used it swears by it. I'm just tired of spending $64 a gallon for it...when I can get most of the ingredients for free.

Your blend is probably missing the part that maks Seafoam $64 a gallon. Probably the bit that makes it work.

MSDS's are generally constructed so not to give the formulation away.

quote:

Originally posted by sub_zero:
Your blend is probably missing the part that maks Seafoam $64 a gallon. Probably the bit that makes it work.

MSDS's are generally constructed so not to give the formulation away.

It's been around since the 1940's I believe, so there can't be that much else that would do any cleaning. Usually MSDS's will say "proprietary blend" when they don't want to give away their secret, but seafoam gives those 3 ingredients in amounts that equal 100%. Even if it has another ingredient, it can't possibly be the main ingredient because there's just no room for it given the percentages of each. Here's the first thread I started about it: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000974#000000

Napthy and ISO are not expensive at all. THe pale oil does not sound like a critical element. It is proably just a carrier for the product. B-12 chemtool has more active ingredients adn is cheaper. You can buy a gallon pail of it for $12. Our you could just buy xylene,toulene,benzine etc... at your local hardware and mix up a decent solvent.

Note that most all solvents are hard on seals!

What are you useing this for??

P.S. Lube COntrol and Fuel Power are only $28 a gallon and are much better then Seafoam could ever hope to be!!

Alright, sorry to bring this back up again, but whether or not it will work, whether or not there is something better or cheaper, does anybody think I will do any damage to my engine or sensors with this mixture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back