2000 Cummins ISM, Amsoil AMO 10-40w, 3000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lab: Oil Analyzers Inc
Vehicle: Diesel Pusher Motorhome
Engine: 2000 Cummins ISM w/86,000 miles since new
Oil: Amsoil AMO 10-40w changed 3000 miles and 14 mths ago. No make-up oil added.
Oil Filters: Full Flow position - Fleetguard# LF9080; Bypass - Fleetguard# LF3542, both filters changed 3000 miles and 14 mths ago.
Air Filter: Fram CA7230 changed 3000 miles and 15 mths ago
Lab Comments: Data indicates no abnormal findings. Resample at normal interval. Oil is suitable for continued use.

WEAR METALS(ppm)
Iron 6
Chromium 0
Copper 0
Tin 0
Lead 0
Nickel 0
Alum 0
Tin 0
Silver 0
Cadmium 0
Vanadium 0
CONTAMINANT METALS(ppm)
Silicon 5
Sodium 1
Potassium 0
MULTI SOURCE METALS(ppm)
Magne 0
Titan 0
Molybdenum 0
Antim 0
Mang 0
Lith 0
Boron 3
ADDITIVE METALS(ppm)
Magnes 9
Calcium 3666
Barium 0
Phosph 1199
Zinc 1376
CONTAMINANTS
Fuel Dilution Soot Vol Water FLUID PROPERTIES
V100C(cSt) - 14.5
Oxidation(abs/cm) - 58
Nitration(abs/0.1 mm) - 6
TBN(mg KOH/g) - 9.40

We plan to leave the oil, air & oil filters in place and resample in March of 2013.

Comments?

Don

With a TBN of over 9 you have better TBN than many virgin oil. No wear to speak of. But it is only 3000 miles, and you have a bypass oil filter and its a Cummins.

The Cummins would probably outlast you even if you used dino oil.

The oxidation seems a little high. So does the fuel. Maybe related. The fuel should be more like < .1%.

Don't bother sampling again until March 2014, unless you start driving the beast!!
grin2.gif

Glad you didn't change the oil, good call! :p Good wear results though, impressive.

Last edited:
Are you sure that's a UOA?
It's so near pure, it could almost pass for a VOA!

I would easily agree that you should UOA only annually, unless your mileage would see a huge increase unexpectedly in the RV. OCI will probably not be warranted anytime soon if this is any indication.

In this case, UOAs are far cheaper than OCIs, so I'd keep that load in as long as possible. I see that 4 years, perhaps more, would not be inconcieveable? You will need to extend this OCI way out to meet the ROI, but if this wear rate is any indication, it is well on it's way to being able to do so!

Excellent showing for the rig and the Amsoil!

Originally Posted By: jetman
Fleetguard says to change their oil filters annually?
What say you.

Actually I would ask Fleetguard, with UOA and your conditions in hand, so to speak.

Originally Posted By: jdean
Looks like a voa, to me. I would send sample to another lab.

Why?

With copper, tin, alum. and lead @0 ppm with 86,000 miles on engine

with the same oil in the engine for 14 months?

I think every OEM says to at least change the oil and/or filters annually. I wouldn't worry about it. Do you know how an LF3542 bypass filter compares to an LF777?

Nice results, I guess you can extend your OCI with no problems.

Sometimes the oil companies recommend to change the oil every year regardless of the mileage it has because of natural oxidation of the oil in contact with air, even if the engine hasn't run. So, if you change the oil you should change the filters too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back