YOUR ideal race oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
At risk of sounding like a market researcher - what do you demand out of your racing and hobby oils and why? What viscosity grade would you want? Is wear resistance or torque more important? How often would you change it and how much would it cost?

Feel free to rant or thread hijack - I am definitely not a racer or hobbyist, so it would be interesting to see what is important to this crowd.

If you could pose a specific question and application, we can help you.

You are asking what type of oil is best. For a squeaky door, use 3-in-1 oil.

Originally Posted By: dparm
There's different types of racing. There are even oils just for qualifying.

agreed: this question needs to be ALOT more specific.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
You are asking what type of oil is best. For a squeaky door, use 3-in-1 oil.

Sorry - what I am asking is what type of oil do/would you use and why. If the answer is, "I use 3-in-1 because it works great when I am racing my door" or "I use an HD 15W-40 because I have long drains and run a hot engine" then that works. I guess I am trying to get a feel for what type of racing people here are doing and what is most important to them in their oils.

So what do you want in an oil to suit your needs? I guess if you wanted to limit the question, it would be the conditions you encounter most often.

Last edited:
Ok! Not afraid of cost but it needs to be justified.

I road race my daily driver. I want an oil that will protect at -20F start up and at 100F amb on the track while I hammer it at 9Krpm. I do track in winter too. I also dont want to have to change oil every other track day/race. Oh, and an analysis program that will help me dial it in for a short time of course. This is what Ive gotten from RP without the oil.

I have run Amsoil Dominator more than once at HPDE's. It comes in 3 grades. Excellent UOA's.

At the strip I don't even use anything special, usually running M1 0w-40.

For the track I like a streetable dedicated race oil for the higher AW additives, but I won't give up a reasonably high VI.
That why I like the FUCHS Titan GT-1 0W-20 I'm currently running in my track/fast street toy (Caterham). It's a heavy 20wt, VII free (still has a 172 VI), Zn free, ester based long drain oil.
But it's not perfect. It's a bit heavier than necessary for the track and definitely so for the street where the oil temp's are lower.
I'm thinking of thinning it out a bit with some Toyota 0W-20 to optimize the oil pressure for the track but I'm hesitating since the FUCHS oil chemistry is so unique.

For dirt track alcohol-powered cars, I use a well formulated 20W50 with lot's of emulsifiers and anti-corrosion additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back