600 CFM Carb "enough" for modded 460?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I started a thread earlier trying to identify the engine in Ol Yellar. Now that's cleared up(thanks everyone), I found out the Holley Carb on the truck is a 600 CFM unit. I have no idea what power the truck puts out.

It does have some mods: Edelbrock Cam, Edelbrock Intake, LT headers, and dual 3" exhaust.

I can't help but wondering if something like a 750 CFM carb might be more suitable for this motor? I'm no expert on the subject though.

My dad's 1965 GTO has a 400 from a 1970 Firebird, with a edelbrock performer cam, Hooker ceramic coated headers, and a edelbrock performer manifold.
It has a Holley 650 CFM Double pumper 4 barrel, and it's fine.

I'd think a 600 cfm might be a little small on a 460, but I grew up with Multi Port fuel injection. Carb's aren't my strong suit.

I ran it on your engine, at a VE of .85, a top end of 5500rpm, it calculated a cfm of 622. Too much carb and you loose low rpm flow velocity.

Last edited:
I ran a Holley 600CFM double pumper on a highly modified Pontiac 455 in a 1980 Trans Am and it was "crisp"; no bog and ran fine through its full range. I had friends running 700 and 750CFM double pumpers on SBCs and they **almost** always bogged coming off the line. Back in the day, most folks ran what was popular and available instead of taking the time to see what was actually needed.

my idea is. how big a cam is it? if its NOT a street racer the 600 carb should be fine. course i like a different brand carb. but im getting so old now it doesnt matter.

Considering the application (truck), low end response and drive-ability is more important than getting every last HP at the redline. If setup properly, it should run very well with the 600.

Nice engine by the way. I had a 460ci in my 1977 Lincoln mkV,and it also had a holly 600cfm. The engine was stock,and ran like a raped ape for the weight it was moving around. I miss that car. I think spasm3 has a good idea there. Check out that link to choose the right carb.

It really depends on where it is meant to twist to. The heads that are on it aren't that great, so you are probably fine with a 600 or 650.

You'll low end drive ability if you go too big. You've got to ask yourself what you're going to do with the truck. For street use I personally would stick with the 600.

Thanks for all of the responses. To answer some questions; the cam isn't very big, mild for sure. I do believe that the carb is a double pumper.

It does have good low end grunt for sure. It does however act like it isn't getting enough fuel though, which could be a specific issue, not the necessarily the carb itself.

Maybe I should rebuild and clean it, and tune it up. Then I can go from there.

I would recommend having it rebuild by a professional. It is not really something you can do in your garage properly. I would recommend having it checked on a gas analyzer before going further. This will let you know if the mixture is rich or lean and whether a rebuild is necessary. Your money will be better spent. Good luck finding someone that knows what they are doing in your area, they are really rare these days.

That calculator is nice, thanks for the link. My only confusion is the part about the carb(stock vs. modified). The difference is quite a bit.

Stock-622
Modified-763

holley carbs are easy to rebuild and tune. Make sure the linkages are working right. Full gasket kit to clean bowls. If you have a lean stumble raise the floats. I have run them alot on small and bigblock chevys. I know this is off topic but more ignition timing at low rpm helps longer duration cammed engines with pumpgas compression ratios run more responsive.

Remember no one was born with the knowledge.

Get a book. HP has some excellent manuals on Holleys. Easy to tune and definitely a DIY project if you are good with cars. Takes patience, that's why it's called "tuning".

I always used to go one size SMALLER than recommended. Your midrange response will more than make up for those couple of peak ponies you lose.

Last edited:
I just looked at the pictures you posted in the "identify my engine" thread - that carb looks like a model 4010 Holley.

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
I would recommend having it rebuild by a professional. It is not really something you can do in your garage properly.

Bah, I can rebuild Holleys in my sleep, besides a Ford 4100 series they don't get much easier than a Holley...

With the mild modifications it'd make more power on a 750, I would not think low speed throttle response would be greatly effected... Factory carb for 428CJ & 429CJ were 735 to 780CFM, those did breathe better than the heads you have but except for the 429SCJ, had mild cams that made high vacuum at idle...

I remember working on some old big block 429 CJ back in the 70's that had Rochester Q jets on them OEM.
IIRC they were 700 CFM give or take a little and used a dual plane manifold.

These things ran like a scalded dog but the way the CJ (not the SCJ) was set up sounds a lot like what you are running.
Maybe the aftermarket makes a spread bore manifold for the 460 or you can find one of a CJ, the ports will not quite match but it wont make a lot of difference to this engine.

That will give you the economy and low end of the Q jet with those monster secondaries for some real grunt.
Personally i would take a good Q jet over a Holley any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back