Castrol oci?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last month I changed my oil with castrol edge w/ spt 5w-30 in my 2005 silverado w/ the 4.3 v6(i got it and a p1 filter at pepboys for 23 dollars). I have over 1200 miles on it so far. Well Today I checked my oil today and it looked like a dark golden brown color. When I checked the oil when I had QSUD 5w-30 (the previous oil that was in it) that had over 2000 miles, it looked a lighter color, kinda like almost new. I find this weird, but im wondering if castrol was meant for extended oci's. My truck only has little over 55,500 miles on it and I dont sense any sludge issues.

That is a silly thing to measure an oils quality and performance by...

I personally would be more concerned if the oil stayed clean and didn't dirty, that would mean it is not breaking down deposits and suspending them.

Last edited by a moderator:
That oil can go 5k, probably even longer unless you're doing some heavy duty stuff like towing or whatever.

Oil gets dark with use. It's normal, and don't think it's any indication of a problem.

Jiffy Lube and those places love to use it as ammunition to upsell you on a motor flush. "Oh your oil is turning black, that means there's lots of build up in there!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back