oil for 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 w/Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 94 cummins 12v and while regular 15w40 is good enough, i spend the extra few bucks to use Rotella 5w40. It seems to pressurize faster and run slightly better till its warmed up. once its warm, there is no difference. Total cost = $20 bucks a year for my annual OCI. The truck should use slightly less fuel with 5w40, maybe enough to cover that $20 a year. Save the Amsoil for a high RPM engine that doesn't have a million mile reputation.

Why not just use Delvac? Chane the oil once a year, 12-15k interval. People get great results, its cheap and its a million mile oil. Maybe not for your Cummins, but the Series 60.

Go to your local Chevron lubricants distributor and get Chevron DELO 400 in the CI-4+ formulation. This will be superior to the CJ-4 oils formulated for the post 2007 low-emissions diesels. About $17/gal in 5 gal pails.

Originally Posted By: BlackRam
Go to your local Chevron lubricants distributor and get Chevron DELO 400 in the CI-4+ formulation. This will be superior to the CJ-4 oils formulated for the post 2007 low-emissions diesels. About $17/gal in 5 gal pails.

This information has my curiosity up. Can you expand more on the comment?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: BlackRam

This information has my curiosity up. Can you expand more on the comment?

Yes - do tell, please.

How is CI-4+ "superior" to CJ-4? What proof do you have that would circumvent the millions of miles of testing done by the lube makers that show CJ-4 reduces wear over its predecessor, and also controls soot better? And please speak to all the stellar CJ-4 UOAs we have here that show excellent wear protection from over-the-counter CJ-4 lubes. How would those have been "inferior" to other UOAs had CI-4+ been used?

And PUH-LEEZE do not link the now infamous TDR "article" as proof; that is mostly bunk based upon supposition.

Don't speak to inputs; show us results!

I would counter with this information:
* up to 38% less Fe wear over CI-4+ at Shell
http://www.shell.com/home/content/rotella/products/tpl_pro/
Mobil and Castrol have similar studies showing wear reduction over the predecessor.

If CJ-4 is so inferior, please explain these UOAs:
nearing 20k miles on dino CJ-4 and a normal filter -
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2179591&page=1
my UOA with merciless heat soaking and no make up oil on dino 10w-30 -
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2323660&page=1
another "thin" 10w-30 dino CJ-4 in a Cummins -
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2231310&page=1

Now, I'm not saying that previous generations of lubes are terrible; that's simply not true. But to infer (with no proof) that CJ-4 lubes are inferior to CI-4+ is simply baseless. Conversely, both the lubes makers millions of testing miles, and most UOAs here, show CJ-4 lubes are good for nearly any application. And are in no way "inferior" to CI-4+ lubes.

Last edited:
I agree. The main criteria for choosing between them is that is that you shouldn't use CJ-4 with HSD or LSD, only with ULSD because CJ-4 doesn't cope with the old higher sulphur fuels as well. These days in the USA, there can't be any places still using HSD and even LSD has to be scarce.

CI-4 is less a problem with ULSD but if you have one of the modern "soot monster" diesels, your OCI will have to be shorter due to CI-4's inferior (compared to CJ4) soot handling capability.

As to results, all I can say is that I am running CJ-4 in three Old School Diesels, the oldest being a tired old1970 Neuss in a tractor (8300 hours) and I get great UOAs running up to three years and 120 hour OCIs. Not worth the trouble for me to seek out CI-4 and pay the extra price premium (around here, because you can only find it at places that do not of good off-the-shelf prices or have sales).

Last edited:
Absolutely. They only reason I would consider an older C spec for my applications would be if I were looking for a specific grade (i.e. for my old gas F-150 if I were looking for higher ZDDP than a PCMO) that were only available in an older HDEO specification. For example, just about every 5w-30 HDEO I've seen is older than CJ-4.

If I'm using 10w-30 or 15w-40, why go for the older formulation? To make matters worse, it's probably been sitting on the shelf for ages and ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back