More power with E85

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2013 Koenigsegg Agera R Super Car makes 960 HP on gas but on E85 it pumps out 1,140 horsee power allowing it to go 0 to 200 MPH in 17.68 seconds.

I would get one but it dosen'r come with a class 3 hitch.
grin.gif

Koenigsegg

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Ford claims that running their FlexFuel 5.0 on E85 boosts output from 360 HP to 375 HP. Now I know why my new 300 feels peppier on E85.

Click here for article.

I use E-85 when towing; not a bit of pinging and it pulls harder than with any grade of gasoline.

Never noticed any difference in performance with E-85. I haven't used it in many years though. Once I realized I was getting 11-12 MPG instead of my regular 16-17 I quit. 25% less MPG's would be fine had the price of E-85 been at least 25% less(or more) than 87. But even then it didn't make sense to use it, have to hit the gas station more often. When I was using E-85 it was only about 25-30 cents less a gallon than 87. This was back in '06.

I ran e85 in my old dodge, 318 2002 van,B3500. Maybe 10 tank fulls , and it never ran rough, but the mileage went down the tubes bad. I ran E85 and regular gas mixed 50/50 and still got bad mileage, like 10mpg, with regular gas it got 15mpg max. Of course my van weighed in at 5700 pounds unloaded and usually I hauled 2500 lbs most of the time in the box. The engine let go at 300k miles due to oil pump failure, ticked me off. It should have gone 700k, but life goes on.

If the vehicles isn't prepped or tuned for it, I doubt it will make more power. I think it would be running too lean.

I am dying to set up and tune my turbo motorcycle on this stuff, it is proven to make more power on a similar set up, but I need to install bigger injectors and a monster fuel pump.

Originally Posted By: Sonic
Never noticed any difference in performance with E-85. I haven't used it in many years though. Once I realized I was getting 11-12 MPG instead of my regular 16-17 I quit. 25% less MPG's would be fine had the price of E-85 been at least 25% less(or more) than 87. But even then it didn't make sense to use it, have to hit the gas station more often. When I was using E-85 it was only about 25-30 cents less a gallon than 87. This was back in '06.

YUP! 25-30% less mileage with E85. Flex Fuel vehicles will give two EPA estimates. The E85 has less energy in it so less mpg for sure. E85 yields better performance at the price of economy.

There are several videos on Jay Leno's Garage site that you may want to view on this topic. I recall one stating that E85 is like budget racing fuel for high compression engines.

We switched to reformulated gas in the Dallas area in 1995. Since I knew it was coming I measured my gas mileage for a while before and then after. I lost 10% of my fuel economy in the 89 Accord (29 down to 26). That was when they were using MTBE. When they switched to E10 I was staying at about 27 mpg. But, the car had 9.3:1 compression and needed at least mid-grade gas, prior to 1995, to prevent knocking. On the 87 octane E10 the knocking was gone. So, even though there was a loss in fuel economy, I was saving 15-20 cents per gallon on gas.

Originally Posted By: Gillsy

E85 yields better performance at the price of economy.

And more people will buy it because they are clueless to their MPG and only see a cheaper price.
Therefore getting rid of REAL gas faster...
More fuel to go the same distance and ethanol really doesn't save any money... just subsidized farmers using space to grow fuel instead of food...
I study my MPG like a hawk...

When people realize we are NEVER getting away from oil, because are roads are paved with the black gold, and the thousands of products that are made and delivered because of "oil"...

Electric can have even more power, but when more nuclear plants are being built in peoples yards, and start melting down, and spent fuel rods become an even bigger issue.....................
Have to end this here though. No use.

The difference on a built B18c1 + I/H/E with ls crank/rods/ITR pistons (12:1 compression) huge cams and fresh machining is around 5whp on an e85 tune vs 91 octane.

So 15HP at the crank doesn't seem far fetched for Ford to claim.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish the OEM's would offer and E85 ONLY engine that has the specs to really take advantage of using high levels of ethanol. There is no choice but to loose mpg using E85 in, basically, a multifuel engine. It has to be built to the lowest level of fuel that will be put into it. If they offered a pure E85 ONLY engine, it would put to rest most of the bellyaching about poor mpg using E85. And they could put out something that would be impressive on performance.

But it is still a viable option for me with my 5.3L flex fuel in my Silverado. At current pricing and mpgs I get with gas or E85..... gas costs me $.20 a mile and E85 costs me $.175 a mile. That is calculated on current pricing and factoring the mpg's I get with each fuel.

E85 is super high octane. Timing can be advanced with that kind of timing with equals more power. E85 has less btu hence it takes more than also line to net the same mileage.

I love the way my new 6.0 pulls on E85, you can really feel the advanced timing. Loses a lot of surging in town due to the computer pulling timing on 87, too.

But after much research, no more for me. Too many byproducts of ethanol combustion end in "zene", bad stuff.

I love running E85. Gasoline is around $1 more a gallon here so the economics don't matter. Had to change injectors to cover the extra volume needed and changed the stoich to 9.18 from 14.64 along with adding cold start fuel and a ton of timing. Love driving it with the extra power.

I can't believe that now that every manufacture is making an engine with a turbo on it that none of them are flex fuel. The one thing that would fully take advantage of the fuel and boost and it is just ignored.

There's no need in a lot of engines. The wife has a 2013 E
xplorer sport V6 Ecoboost. Gets great mileage and has more than enough power for the vehicle. It will leave my F-150 like it's out of gas. I've buried the throttle in my truck but nowhere near WOT in the Explorer. It also has 4 wheel drive and all the whistles and bells. Ford has found how to get it right on gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back