When and where to use gasket sealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi people, this my first post. I am going to change the transaxle fluid and filter on my 1996 Dodge Caravan 3.3L. It is the 4 spd automatic transaxle (I think). The pan gasket is a rubber gasket. I have searched the web to see if I should use a sealer. Some people say yes and some say no. I don't want to do it twice, so I figured this was the very best site to ask. If you tell me yes, could you please tell me what type to use.
Almost every time I decide on my own to use a sealer I find out later that either, I was not supposed to, or I used the wrong one. Thank you very much in advance for any help you can give me. Terry

get some spray adhesive. its made to hold the gasket in place to make installing it easier. or a few very small dabs of gasket maker to help you keep the gasket from sliding around. but thats it. otherwise the next time you do it if you use sealer all over it will be a miserable job.
o BTW
welcome2.gif

Don't use anything on the rubber gasket. If you need something to hold it in place use a dab of grease. If you are worried about it leaking get a new gasket.

Don't over torque the bolts.

On that application throw away the rubber gasket and use RTV on the pan. Let it "set up" by drying for approx 15 minutes before reinstalling it on the transmission. Otherwise on this application the pan will leak shortly after service.

edit: Ultra black RTV would work for this. Any parts store should have it.

Last edited:
DO NOT use gasket sealer or a gasket maker.

Only use the gasket that came with the filter kit.

If there is any old gasket stuck to the trans or the pan use a razor blade to scrape the old gasket off.

There should be at least a few holes in the gasket, maybe more, that are smaller than the others that will hold a few bolts to start with. Putting the pan back on is a very simple task, you won't need any kind of assistance.

If there are magnets in the pan pull them, clean them and put them back right where they were.

Keith

Last edited:
What is with this chicken little fear of leaks ?

The gasket is there to seal the pan to the trans body. It's sole purpose is to seal the two parts together so there are no leaks. It's a foolproof, time proven method of sealing the two parts together. It works so well that the vehicle manufacturers use gaskets. Oh the horror !

Many years ago Fram and others were including a cork gasket with their filter kits. Those were troublesome, but I haven't seen one of those in a long time.

The rubber gasket is what you want to use, by itself. There will not be a leak unless there is a hole in the pan, you didn't scrape off the old gasket, didn't tighten the bolts properly or somehow succeeded in botching a simple task some other way.

Gasket maker on a transmission pan is wholly unnecessary and in the hands of weekend warriors and pros alike, is asking for trouble.

Keith

^^^been there, done that!

if factory equipped with the reusable rubber gasket just use it. Typically the aftermarket filter kits are garbage.

No sealers needed if everything is clean and undamaged.

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
Gasket maker on a transmission pan is wholly unnecessary and in the hands of weekend warriors and pros alike, is asking for trouble.

And it makes removal of the pan a PITA the next time.

Any of the gray stuff from ThreeBond should work well if you want to be able to take the bolts back out and use them for something else but continue to drive the van. Don't count on being able to reuse the pan again after that though.

Well, I am OCD, so I use a sealer. I use the ATP felt type gasket on vehicles that don't have the reusable factory gasket. I put a small bead of silicon on the outer half of the gasket so that it gets squeezed out, rather than in. Peels right off next time around.

I put 3M weatherstrip adhesive all over a cork Powerglide gasket years ago, when I was young and stupid. ( I know, I know, now I'm old and stupid.) Anyway, I was shocked to see that goo dissolved and running down the sides of the pan. So, when in doubt, more is not better.

In this case, the factory or GOOD replacement gasket should work great.
Are there leaks/seepage now?
The surfaces must be FLAT and CLEAN.
A wipe of RTV on the gasket may be a good thing if you see seepage now.
Let it cure before refilling.

just buy the good gasket and no sealer.

example 2001 taurus has a rubber-metal-rubber sandwich gasket that works great and is reuseable.

The aftermarket ball of black rubber gasket is a PITA and a half to keep lined up and will leak unless done perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back