What oil for mercury mountaineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting a 2005 mercury mountaineer AWD 4.6L 239 hp V8
what would be a good syn oil to use for this suv it dont have a owners manual

How about.....M-1 0w30.....or 5w30.

I believe the manual recommends 5w30...but check the oil cap....it should state the oil recommended.

ALL Ford 4.6L are specked or back specked for 5W-20, that said I use 5W-30 M1 EP in both of my two valve SOHC...

Son owned an 05 Explorer 4.6L, spec'd 5w20, quite certain 05 Mountaineer 4.6L does too. OLM light went off every ~5k, not a true OLM. At 5k OCI's, most any 5w20 dino will handle that. MC Syn Blend is excellent but getting relatively pricey. I'd stick with any major's 5w20, QS, PYB, VWB, GTX, or MS5K. Add a MC FL820S oil filter and you should be good to go.

If you want to use a synthetic, QSUD is the best major's everyday value at Wally.

Owner's manual pdf can be found in the link. Pick an Owners Guide edition on the right side menu.

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentSer...del=Mountaineer

The factory suggestion IS Motorcraft 5w-20 on a 5000mi interval.

I use Mag1 5w-20... although the Motorcraft is good oil too. Any decent 5w-20 is good. 5w-30 if 5w-20 is not available.

If you are going by the factory recommended interval just use the lowest price conventional with a motorcraft oil filter. That is what I do for the modulars that I maintain.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
If you are going by the factory recommended interval just use the lowest price conventional with a motorcraft oil filter. That is what I do for the modulars that I maintain.

+1

Use Motorcraft.
Originally Posted By: ckmarsh
I am getting a 2005 mercury mountaineer AWD 4.6L 239 hp V8
what would be a good syn oil to use for this suv it dont have a owners manual

I get one case of any syn oil for free but it is a ford so Motorcraft should be fine just wont a good VI for winter use here in ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back