shell synthetic how good is it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shell 'syn' is made of a better base than PYB. It is a fine oil. If you can get it for a good deal then jump on it. It depends on a lot of factors though, PYB is fine for most apps.

Hi,
Ram01 - In answer to your "general" question regarding Shell synthetics I can confirm that they are long term players in this field.

Much development took place in the 1930s. I have used their synthetic engine and gear lubricants with excellent results for several decades

Their synthetic 5W-40 XMO was the first synthetic FF used by Porsche around 1991

Originally Posted By: Ram01
How come it doesn't meet Dexos 1??

SOPUS seems to be playing around with which oils will be dexos1 certified and which will not. I suspect that Formula Shell Synthetic would meet the dexos1 specification if it were so tested. I just don't see a need for Shell to pay to licence every oil they have that could conceivably meet the specification.

If it were me, I'd licence only the Pennzoil syn blend (as they've done) and then PU, with perhaps another one thrown in the mix. That way, you satisfy the bargain hunters and they guys that want the top end stuff.

Originally Posted By: Garak

If it were me, I'd licence only the Pennzoil syn blend (as they've done) and then PU, with perhaps another one thrown in the mix. That way, you satisfy the bargain hunters and they guys that want the top end stuff.

I haven't seen a Pennzoil.Synthetic Blend in years. Where would you find it?

Shell synthetic. Is it better than PYB? ? How come it doesn't meet Dexos 1??

I am sure it exceeds Dexos 1. It is a good oil for the right price use it. I have used this oil for my wife's focus. I bought it for 3 dollars and change on Amazon once upon a time. I can not think of a bad lubricant from Shell.

Agreed that it might be hard to find, but it does exist, and it is dexos1 licenced.
wink.gif

Here, I could probably find it at a parts store if I were so inclined. Personally, the only time I've used a synthetic blend is when I was using HM oil. Otherwise, I'd simply go to conventional or synthetic (unless I could get the U.S. blend Motorcraft oil up here, but that's another issue).

Originally Posted By: johnachak

I haven't seen a Pennzoil.Synthetic Blend in years. Where would you find it?

It's called Pennzoil Gold and it's sold at a select few stores around the country. I've seen it at one Wal-Mart and not at the others nearby. Sold only in quarts at about $4.38 each. It's pretty hit and miss but you're probably not missing out on much anyways.

How come it doesn't meet Dexos 1??

SOPUS seems to be playing around with which oils will be dexos1 certified and which will not. I suspect that Formula Shell Synthetic would meet the dexos1 specification if it were so tested. I just don't see a need for Shell to pay to licence every oil they have that could conceivably meet the specification.

Quaker State syn is certified Dexos 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back