What oil in 86 Nissan Pickup high miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought up an 86 Nissan Hardbody pickup. 3.0 V6 with high miles. Runs really well and started right up after sitting for over a year, no smoke or anything. Has a slight tap in the top end after running for about 10 minutes but I figure that may also be because of sitting so long. Speedometer doesn't work so not sure how many miles are on it. It seems to have quit at 178k so I assume it has well over 200k on it. Was running hot since the fan clutch does not seem to do much. Will try to replace the basic items such as the fan clutch, thermostat, speedo cable and leaky valve cover gasket. Just wondering what is a good oil to clean it out without putting many miles on it since I prob will not drive it much. Just keeping it around for runs to Home Depot and such. Have just about any oil in my stash at this point but I am thinking synth may not be a good idea since it is old and most of the gaskets are at least seeping at this point. The recommended weight is 10w40 with 10w30 usable below 50 degrees or so. The oil in it currently is not really that dirty but obviously could use a change. Black coating between cam lobes but not sludge goop just looks like someone spray painted it black. Can still see the texture on the cam surface between the lobes. So it is not all sludged up it seems.

cheapest HDEO you can get, or that peak stuff from amazon if you can get it at a buck a quart.

So is the body solid? Is it carbureted?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
cheapest HDEO you can get, or that peak stuff from amazon if you can get it at a buck a quart.

Listen to this guy.

The body actually looks great and just has random rust spots here and there from chips that never got touched up. If I buff it I think it will look like a 2 year old used vehicle. Slight rust by the rear wheels that can be treated and covered up with small flares or something.Prob not more than 1/4" from the lip.
I did stock up on Peak oil at True Value Hardware for $2.50 a 5qt jug but not sure if any of it was 10w40. Could not pass up that deal!

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I advise a nice short OCI of PYB and then go to a HM of your choice. WPP and Chevron HM oils are sleepers IMHO.

Have you seen a VOA or UOA of the chevron HM oils? Just curious because I havent seen on one here in the HM variety. What makes this oil a sleeper?
There is no chevron anymore, its havoline/chevron so I attached the pds, nothing stands out to me when or looks that great.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=374514&docFormat=PDF

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
I advise a nice short OCI of PYB and then go to a HM of your choice. WPP and Chevron HM oils are sleepers IMHO.

Have you seen a VOA or UOA of the chevron HM oils? Just curious because I havent seen on one here in the HM variety. What makes this oil a sleeper?
There is no chevron anymore, its havoline/chevron so I attached the pds, nothing stands out to me when or looks that great.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=374514&docFormat=PDF

Because it works. Especially at curing the seal leaks that HM oils are marketed for. What is not considered a sleeper about a group II+ base stock motor oil with close to 900PPM of zinc and phosphorus that is often found on sale under $4.00 a quart. Also the bottles of Chevron Supreme at Orielly's do not have any Havoline mention on them. By looking at PDS's/VOA's alone I am not impressed at all by the Phillips lubricants offerings, but that does not mean I will not recommend someone from using them.

Originally Posted By: volk06

Because it works. Especially at curing the seal leaks that HM oils are marketed for. What is not considered a sleeper about a group II+ base stock motor oil with close to 900PPM of zinc and phosphorus that is often found on sale under $4.00 a quart. Also the bottles of Chevron Supreme at Orielly's do not have any Havoline mention on them. By looking at PDS's/VOA's alone I am not impressed at all by the Phillips lubricants offerings, but that does not mean I will not recommend someone from using them.

I've never seen a Chevron/havoline HM voa or uoa, no need to get bitter. I've never seen them and was just curious. Maybe the HM line is different but you mentioned before you were not impressed with chevron's SN oils.

How did Phillips 66 lubes even get brought into this conversation?

Last edited:
Yeah I am not impressed by Chevron's VOA's at all. Each new formulation from Chevron's regular PCMO's has less and less additives. Their HM line still has the additives that made Chevron's PCMO's favorites on here. But it maybe because it is still old stock, time will tell.

Also I am very peeved my wife killed my truck's battery because she had to listen to the radio while she had to clean the garage because the garage was not to her standards because my FIL will be here on Wednesday. Sorry for jumping on you. This really makes me disgruntled because backing down a 5,500 lbs pickup without power is not what I call a favorite pastime.

Does everyone think it is OK to run 5/10W30 since oil has come a long way since 1986? Or should I stick to a 40 weight since it is recommended? I was thinking I may run T6 in it after an initial cleanup OCI if 40 weight is the way to go. Opinions?

Do not forget to change the timing belt and timing hardware when the manual tells you to. This is an interference engine that will be heavily damaged if you don't replace the belt on time.

This is what killed my mom's 1985 Nissan Maxima which has a Nissan VG30 series engine, and made me hate timing belts passionately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back