Lube Control in motorcycle oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Tim_Z:
Hello again all.

I am wondering if it would be OK to put LC in a bike with a shared sump (oil/transmission). The manual states no moly additives and I believe it says to not use friction modifiers. The bike in question is a 2003 Honda Magna.

Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks

Tim

1/2 to 1oz per quart,initial fill.
1/2 to 1oz per 1000 miles.
Terry can fine-tune these rates with analysis interpretation.

Mark

Hello again all.

I am wondering if it would be OK to put LC in a bike with a shared sump (oil/transmission). The manual states no moly additives and I believe it says to not use friction modifiers. The bike in question is a 2003 Honda Magna.

Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks

Tim

I've been using the LC in similar ratio my for 2001 Superhawk the past 2K miles with no problems at all. In fact, I feel it shifts smoother than before. Honda states not to put any oil with moly or other additives but their own regular GN4 contains about 50ppm right off the shelf. What about other EP/AW additives? ZDDP etc? From my experience with Honda clutches/gearboxes, there are not many OTC oils that will cause problems such as slippage. Their drive plates are steel and the pressure/friction rings are fiberous. Where I have seen problems with high moly/adds, is with aftermarket clutches that use sintered metal materials for the frition plates.

Thanks shortyb.

I was hoping another Honda rider would post an experience with LC in their bike. While I know LC does not have molly in it I was just curious if there was anything else I should be cautious of.

Happy riding.

Tim

quote:

Originally posted by Tim_Z:
Thanks shortyb.

I was just curious if there was anything else I should be cautious of.

Happy riding.

Tim

Yeah, folks in cars that aren't paying attention
grin.gif
. Anyway, you should have no problems with the LC other than trying to remember just when you need to change the oil. It will make whatever oil you use last quite awhile.

Thanks, anytime I ride, I'm happy
smile.gif

Shortyb, do you use the :
1/2 to 1oz per quart,initial fill, 1/2 to 1oz per 1000 miles routine?

Tim

Tim- I used 2oz. on initial fill, my sump/filter capacity is 3.75 qts. Then 1/2-3/4oz every K. Looks good so far. Hope this helps.

shortyb, Yeah that's what I did on the initial. I also noticed after a nice ride tonight that the transmission shifts gears more easily.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back