Any 3.6L Pentastar owners out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read Chrysler has redesigned the problem head. Now I wait until the 2013's come out and see if they got the fix. Or if the early ones have issues because they are getting engines from stock already build with the problem head. I won't pull the trigger on this until September or October. I think I can keep the Aerostar alive a little longer.

Mine is a 2012 Charger with the 8speed. Sometimes I wonder if some just hate Chryco no matter what. I used to be a faithful gm guy, but years of problems lead me to buying a dodge dakota. Then another, until I got one with all the bells and whistles, 4.7, 12 YEARS AGO.While my wifes pontiac gp was constantly in for problems (3800) my red Dak just runs on. So I convinced her to try the Charger. This car is wonderful, and the 3.6 is as good as they say, and ofcourse she loves it. Yes, its mechanical, and may have a problem or two. But they took several years to develope this, and appear to be on track with customer service and quality. Now if we can just get them to build the whole car in the USA.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
From what I've read Chrysler has redesigned the problem head.

So was it a design issue? I thought it was a manufacturing problem.

Since a relatively small number of engines were affected it's easy to see the design was good. Just poorly executed.

The redesign was to make it less likely to happen no matter who builds it. Unfortunately that's a real problem these days.

Originally Posted By: gwg
Mine is a 2012 Charger with the 8speed. Sometimes I wonder if some just hate Chryco no matter what. I used to be a faithful gm guy, but years of problems lead me to buying a dodge dakota. Then another, until I got one with all the bells and whistles, 4.7, 12 YEARS AGO.While my wifes pontiac gp was constantly in for problems (3800) my red Dak just runs on. So I convinced her to try the Charger. This car is wonderful, and the 3.6 is as good as they say, and ofcourse she loves it. Yes, its mechanical, and may have a problem or two. But they took several years to develope this, and appear to be on track with customer service and quality. Now if we can just get them to build the whole car in the USA.
smile.gif

I hate Chrysler no matter what, because, no matter what they make, it's unreliable junk.

They have a lot of cool designs. I'd love to have a Hemi charger. I just can't trust one because their quality is so poor.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
From what I've read Chrysler has redesigned the problem head. Now I wait until the 2013's come out and see if they got the fix. Or if the early ones have issues because they are getting engines from stock already build with the problem head. I won't pull the trigger on this until September or October. I think I can keep the Aerostar alive a little longer.

I wouldn't want to drop that much money on a [censored] shoot. Why not look into a TJ wrangler with a known good 4.0 engine? The last "good" wranglers were made in 2006. 2007 introduced the anemic bearing spinning, oil burning 3.8 and then they have the 2012 that knock from the factory.

There isnt a car company out there that hasnt made junk now and then. I had a brand new 1991 honda accord ex, worn cv joints at 30k, and a new tranny at 90k. I'm nuts about car care, and have had very little work
other than maintenence on my Daks. The 4.7 was only in production a year when I bought mine. It is solid as can be, and I expect the same from the 3.6.

I read and heard they redesigned the head and the fix is in production. The 2013's should be on the road in a few weeks. My plan is to wait until either Sept or October, by that time if they are having problems with the 2013's I should know. If they are I'll probably can the idea and look for something else.

Found a very interesting link (re: the 3.6 Pentastar) via the following Mercedes M276/M278 (the 4.5 twin-turbo!!!) info:

Google "m10-10-06" and hit the link from www.scribd.com for a very thoughtful discussion of the MB/Chrysler(?) technology.

These two platforms replace ones from circa 2004! with what I consider amazing results. True that there is a tremendous amount of modern tech involved, but that's (supposedly?) progress: the hp, mileage and torque improvements are pretty impressive.

The reason I'm posting this is to further the previously stated opinions that if there really is a problem with the 3.6 Pentastar it was probably in execution vs. design and that a solution can be reasonably anticipated.

Cheers!

p.s. I don't see much on the MB Boards re: problems with the new series M276/M278 motors.

It's pretty amazing how much the technology has advanced in the last 15 years.

DI, variable valve timing, crazy fuel management. They can now pull v8 torque curves out of a small v6 and give near 4 cyl like economy!

I stumbled upon this today, it made me a little sick to my stomach. They redesigned the head, and retooled, the new heads are bad! Looks like my wait will continue, as I want no part of a head swap on a new vehicle. My gut was right telling me it never pays to buy into new technology. The sad part is this engine has been around 3 model years now I think?

I was going to order one in September, then thought of waiting until mid year 2013 to see how the fix went. Then I saw this, I might as well wait till 2014.
21.gif
33.gif
LOL Or buy another Ford.

From another site.

Originally Posted By: Blastek;2644437
This is quoted from the allpar thread. The parts delay part is not entirely accurate, but the problem with the new head might explain the recent issue in this thread.

"Looks like there is a new problem with the new head.The Wrangler head is still on restriction and you have to call STAR to get the ok to repair it.I called on one this morning and got the ok to order one(that we cant for another 2 months because of the 1 every 7 days rule) and STAR said to check the cam bore because they have had problems with cams locking up in the new head.STAR said it was because the were so far behind on the heads that they were rushing and boring the cam journals.We still have cars here from 2 months ago waiting to get heads and we cant even order any more for another 2 months.So if someone was to come in today their car would be here for about 3 months before it was fixed "

AllparForums: AN: Update: Rare Pentastar...unity - Page 10

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
This is pitiful. They are going to get a lot of Lemon law action that will be very expensive.

Yep, and the early 2013's are going to have problems as well. What a shame!

I haven't heard of these problems in the minivans with the 3.6L. But it doesn't shock me either. A combination of Chrysler (worst quality in the US) with FIAT (worst quality in Europe) isn't very promising. This head issue is solvable, given time and money. Then it comes down to execution and if they can repair this in a way that keeps customers happy. The new Dodge Dart doesn't have this engine and if they did that one right, it can sustain the corporation until they fix all their other junk.

Well the 2013's are on the road, it should be interesting to see if the ticking issue continues. I can easily scrap this plan totally, or wait patiently for 2014 and hope they don't make these engines DI. Time is on my side for once.

2012 Pentastar in a Wrangler here, with 3,700 miles. No ticking yet. I must admit I am mildly paranoid though. I was going to sell my 4Runner but is is babied and pristine, and they don't make the V8 anymore, so I think I will hang on to it till I am sure my Jeep is not ticking. Then again, it can happen at 500 miles or 20,000...

Originally Posted By: HK_Ace
2012 Pentastar in a Wrangler here, with 3,700 miles. No ticking yet. I must admit I am mildly paranoid though. I was going to sell my 4Runner but is is babied and pristine, and they don't make the V8 anymore, so I think I will hang on to it till I am sure my Jeep is not ticking. Then again, it can happen at 500 miles or 20,000...

Yea it can happen at any time. I've been following this closely. I'm anxious to see if any of the 2013's rolling out now have the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back