Selecting a tube for a tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say you have a 26" x 1.5" tire. My tube options are:

1. 26" x 1.5 - 2.1
2. 26" x 1.0 - 1.5

Technically both tubes fall within the 1.5" range, but would one fit better than the other in this case? Which one? I already ordered the first one and I'm not sure if I did the right thing...

I usually go with the thinner one since it will be lighter and easier to install. but if you feel better running a tube with thicker rubber, go for it.

I've gone both ways and really don't notice a difference. Either will work. IMO you're trading an imperceptible amount of weight for a unlikely-to-matter increase in puncture resistance.

Thanks. I was mainly concerned about the ease of install/fitment. Sounds like the smaller one would have been better. I'll see if I can still change by order.

Yep, either will work but the smaller one is much easier to install. The larger one can be prone to pinch flats if you're not careful when installing it.

Thanks guys. I was able to change my order to the smaller tube. Also picked up some tire levers to hopefully not damage anything during install.

Changing bike tires is pretty easy. I've done it a lot of times. Just make sure you get the labels in the right place.
laugh.gif

http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html
Quote:
Label placement

Most good bicycle mechanics pay attention to the orientation of labels. The most usual custom for tires is to locate the label right at the valve, facing to the right. Some justify this on the grounds that having a standard tire mounting orientation can make it easier to find a thorn or glass sliver in a tire, once the hole has been located in the (removed) tube. While there's an element of truth to this, placing the label consistently is really more about pride of workmanship and attention to detail.

Obviously, placement doesn't really matter. One of our bikes has tires with the "wrong" label orientation, because I didn't know about the "right" way to do it when I installed the tires.

I actually have a new set of Kenda Kontender tires that arrived the weekend for my road bike. I need to install them in the next few days.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks guys. I was able to change my order to the smaller tube. Also picked up some tire levers to hopefully not damage anything during install.

just remember the tire levers are for REMOVAL of the tire ONLY! use only your hands to re-install the tire lest you pinch the tube.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
just remember the tire levers are for REMOVAL of the tire ONLY! use only your hands to re-install the tire lest you pinch the tube.

Thanks for the tip. I've seen a video of a bike shop guy use it for both mount and dismount, but he did mention to be extra careful when mounting with it. But it looks like it's easy enough to just mount it by hand. Last time I replaced a tire and tube on this bike, I used no levers at all.

Update: Install was a breeze. Everything fit nicely. I went from a 1.95" tire to a 1.5" tire on the front (1.75" on the back) since most of my riding is on paved trails even though technically it's a mountain bike (older Schwinn). I like the fact that the bike feels somewhat lighter on its feet with this new narrower tire. It is also less noisy.

The 1.5" width is almost the same as the 700x40 tires I have on my other bike (hybrid). When it's time to replace, I'll probably switch them to 700x35.

A couple of [censored] phone camera pics...

bike_tire_1.jpg

bike_tire_2.jpg

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Yep, either will work but the smaller one is much easier to install. The larger one can be prone to pinch flats if you're not careful when installing it.

I agree, and for the above mentioned reason.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I can't install my 700 x 25 tires only by hand. I have to use levers. In fact I go out of my way to buy metal ones, since plastic levers will break.

Interestingly, the manufacturer/distributor of the tubes I was considering (Rubena) said that I use the larger of the two tubes. When asked 'why', they said it was due to less stretching and therefore better puncture resistance, which is in line what you guys said earlier.

I guess if I catch a flat very quickly, I'll get the bigger tube next time.

The key( for me) to using levers when installing a tire, is to use talc, so that the tube will just slide out of the way. I've been using it for years, and haven't pinched a tube in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back