What brands of gasolines contain MMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What brands of gasoline contain MMT? The reason I ask is that in my owner's manual it says that gasolines containing MMT cannot be used.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
What brands of gasoline contain MMT? The reason I ask is that in my owner's manual it says that gasolines containing MMT cannot be used.

Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl - Octane enhancer used in the absense of lead.

I don't believe any refineries use it anymore. I could be wrong though.

That is reassuring. When I read my owner's manual for the first time I didn't notice the part about not using gasoline that contains MMT. Methanol also cannot be used. I am going to be very careful about what fuel additives I use. Chevron Techron seems safe because it is already used in Chevron gasolines anyway. I feel I need to use some sort of fuel additive since the fuel around here is awful. If there were Chevron gasoline stations I would always go to them.

I am going to be very careful also about oil supplements. I think Auto-RX is safe.

I thought some in Canada used to use MMT, but no longer.

The warning is for the cat converter, no?

Many of the popular "octane enhancers" contain MMT. I don't like it, it coats spark plugs and such with a redish crud.

No Methanol seems to be standard warning.

I could be wrong but I thought Canadian gas companies still haven't eliminated MMT from their formulas yet.

Supposedly they don't use it anymore...but my UOA still shows manganese from using high octane gas.
dunno.gif

MMT is not typically used in USA gasoline. It is not however totally banned. There have been isolated cases of refineries using it in the southwestern US in the past few years. It has not been in consistent long term use though.

Canadian gas still contains MMT. Check out many of our canadian friends UOA's for the manganese in them.

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
MMT is not typically used in USA gasoline. It is not however totally banned. There have been isolated cases of refineries using it in the southwestern US in the past few years. It has not been in consistent long term use though.

Canadian gas still contains MMT. Check out many of our canadian friends UOA's for the manganese in them.

That is true, my last UOA showed 141ppm of manganese in a 3100 mile interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back