what does SAE fractional mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what does SAE fractional mean? Is it the same as SAE? I've just never heard anyone put fractional at the end. BTW I don't mean SAE as in motor oil SAE.

Means the same. Fractional means fractions of an inch even if it is over an 1 inch.

3/16, 1/2, 15/8 (1 and 7/8), etc.

Last edited:
Google turns up only bits and pieces to this question.

SAE, Society of Automotive Engineers was formed in the early 1990's to develop technical standards for automotive (and later on aerospace) industries. This would include fasteners and the tools used on them.

Fractional is a description based maybe on the English measurement standard (?) that was adopted and is self explanatory.

Really, fractional (vs. metric) is a better descriptor than SAE. Over the years SAE must have taken over as the description of the "American standard" vs. metric.

The only analogies I can think of are bad: Kleenex tissue became just "Kleenex" for anything used to blow your nose?

Besides tools and fasteners, other things like drill bits are also described as fractional.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
SAE started the 1990s?
I have auto repair books from the '70s that describe SAE bolt sizes and strengths.

Cut me some slack man! I'm 56 and fading fast!
grin.gif

Does early 1900's sound better?

I actually did that mistake on purpose to see if anyone was paying attention. Next time I'm in Merrillville to visit the relatives I'll bring you a dozen of our free range chicken eggs for error catching reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back