VW 507.00 Commonly Available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at Auto Zone and had a customer come in looking for oil for his 2012 Jetta TDI.

It calls for a "507.00" VW spec - supposedly required since it has a DPF.

A quick search turned up Castrol SLX and M1 ESP (emissions system protection). We don't carry either.

I did a quick search on this site and wasn't able to find anything.

Anybody know a common source for these oils, or any other oil besides the VW brand that meets 507.00? I would like to let my customer know, and also be able to help others in the future.

Thanks,

The VW dealer should have the Castrol SLX LL oil on hand. The Castrol is "The VW brand" as it is a joint venture between the two companies. Elf, Motul, Castrol and Total all make VW approved 507.00 oils. Others such as Amsoil state that they meet the spec. The oil changes and maintenance should be covered under the new car warranty as well for 3yr/36K miles. Best of luck to you and your customer!

Originally Posted By: dparm
Yes. I would still verify that on the bottle or spec sheet before purchasing though.

Doesn't say on the bottle.

Pep Girls carries Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30 which is VWAG 507.00 certified.

Confusingly, they also carry Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5w40 which is not 507.00 certified, but MB 229.51 certified - and I would gladly use it in any of the new DPF-equipped TDIs.

Originally Posted By: scurvy

Confusingly, they also carry Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5w40 which is not 507.00 certified, but MB 229.51 certified - and I would gladly use it in any of the new DPF-equipped TDIs.

The funny part with M1 ESP is... in Europe, Mobil dropped the Formula M 5w40 and consolidated with the ESP 5w30.

Apparently, ESP 5w30 has MB 229.31 & 229.51 approvals along with the VW approvals. (the opposite is not true though)

Originally Posted By: scurvy

IIRC being a 30 weight is part of the 507 spec.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
IIRC being a 30 weight is part of the 507 spec.

It could be. All the 507.00 certified oils I've seen have been 30 weight. With the new CR TDIs being a fully rollerized valvetrain there's no real need for a 40 weight in the engine anyway.

My comment about it being confusing is solely based on the name of the oils: Mobil 1 ESP Formula vs Mobil 1 ESP Formula M. Really, guys... one letter and one digit difference?

This is a warranty breaker; if you're still under warranty and it doesn't say 507.00 on the container, don't use it. If you're off warranty, well, opinions vary.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Pentosin (O'Rileys) sells a 507.

You can also get it at Carquest stores. You might have to ask for it from the distribution hub.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I work at Auto Zone and had a customer come in looking for oil for his 2012 Jetta TDI.

It calls for a "507.00" VW spec - supposedly required since it has a DPF.

A quick search turned up Castrol SLX and M1 ESP (emissions system protection). We don't carry either.

I did a quick search on this site and wasn't able to find anything.

Anybody know a common source for these oils, or any other oil besides the VW brand that meets 507.00? I would like to let my customer know, and also be able to help others in the future.

Thanks,

We're STILL talking about VW 507.00? It's only been 3 years since it came out.

If you use other than a 507 oil (low saps) in a CR VW "clean" diesel vehicle, you risk damaging the emissions system. Don't. Not even off-warranty.

Besides the Castrol and M1 versions, the easiest way to get a reliable 507 approved oil is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550023013...=I12CF55LH6Z4NW

We have a clean TDI. Getting oil is easy. If all else fails, the nearest VW dealer carries the Castrol in liter bottles at a fair price.

BTW, the 2.0 CR diesel takes exactly 4 liters on the dot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back