Anyone here drive an older car & doesnt care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don't care how old a vehicle is, as long as it's safe, maintained and reliable. While I'll never drive around in something old enough to not be safe or that I'd consider a "junker", I don't have a problem with owning older, safe, reliable cars. I have more respect for someone who drives a paid for older car than I do for someone leasing a new luxury car just to project an image.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Buying a new car is financial suicide.

No, it's not if you get it at a decent price, pay cash and keep it for a long time. Financing or leasing a new car is financially stupid, but buying a new one isn't if it's done correctly.

When I bought my used 99 Saturn SL2 I had several to choose from, but I wanted the one with the scratched bumper cover. I knew I would be putting a wheelchair in the car, so it was probably going to get scratched anyway. I drive in the country where it is common to hit deer or other animals. I know my Saturn may be easier to fix than other vehicles. I tend to be more focused on the utility of the vehicle, not how new it is.

My newest car is a 1991. I like having the cheap transportation car rather than a new car so I can spend my money on other things. I have 6 classic cars that I restore/hot rod and I would rather put the money in those than in a new car that will lose value so quickly.

Ill give an example. Ive been obsessed about getting a new car for about 6 months straight now, and I mean 6 months everyday on my mind 24/7, its jumped across a few different cars. I dont care much about cars performance but mostly about the looks and having a nice car get attention. I dont even know why I think this way for cars cause generally speaking I dont like attention. I was actually this close about 99% to getting a new car last March but I backed out last minute, very last min. I even had the deposit down and all I had to do was sign the papers. But I went in that morning and backed out.

I just couldnt do it, I had people talk me out of it the night before. it would put me in too much debt again and huge overpayment for it after the term was done. Be wasting a ton of money overpaying for a car that would be worth 1/3 or 1/4 when im done paying it off. It would have set me back in life for a long time.

I just cant afford a new car, in no situation to even consider a new car. But right now ever since I saw the new Toyota Scion FRS that is what i want so bad. I would do anything for that car, anything. I cant get this [censored] car off my mind. Just look at the car pics online and tell me its not a car that would car heads, a lot of heads?

Not only is it way out of my price range (31k OTD, not including any interest) but I just cant get a new car period. My family would freak out when they find out. They might even make me return it. But its such a nice car.

I dont know what the [censored] is wrong with me but I just cant seem to be happy with my old civic. I hate being in it, I hate being seen in it, Im embarassed, I feel jealous when I see new cars, wishing I had one. Ive had so many people give me advice on how to just be happy with it. I did when I bought it almost 23 months ago but oh how the tides have turned in being bored and unhappy with it now. I dont know why its so hard for me but I need to smarten up and realize that having a nice car isnt an important thing in life. It isnt important at all.

Last edited:
I'd love to get rid of my 2011 Focus for a $4000 used car in good shape. Problem is, there aren't any cheap, not rusted out used cars here.

I have pride in my beat-up 2000 cherokee. My 2011 Focus is ... just a car. Also, I would have no problems / reservations commuting in my Cherokee.

In fact, I'm looking for a 5 speed Cherokee.

3693610899_a852672f21.jpg

My last older car was a W126. Better car than a lot of new ones, certainly a better car than the W220 S class.

bmw_m635_csi_2.jpg

3194899885_d8f329299d.jpg

Whats wrong with an older car? I'd take an older M6 over the new bloated one without a second thought.

A Jag XKE is a blast to drive and just drop dead beautiful to look it. It doesn't need all the Ipod plug in, electronic [censored] to do that, 20 years from now all the above vehicles will still be beautiful, wonderfully fun cars to drive. While the modern ones that are knew today are old clunkers.

Last edited:
I have no issue with an older car. I have an issue personally with driving a dilapidated condition vehicle both in interior or exterior.

My wife and I both drive 6+ year old 100k+ vehicles. Not old but definitely far from new.

I did drive a 95 Civic Ex coupe and hated it but drove it 225,000 miles. I regretted not buying the Accord or Integra GSR sedan.

Currently, a '78 Granada is my newest car; with a '77 Riviera, '70 Chrysler, '62 Buick, and others in reserve. To me, they look like a car and are what they should be. I've moved up to the '80's a couple times and ran back to the 40's-70's each time.
Newest I've ever had was an '87 in 1997.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'd love to get rid of my 2011 Focus for a $4000 used car in good shape. Problem is, there aren't any cheap, not rusted out used cars here.

I have pride in my beat-up 2000 cherokee. My 2011 Focus is ... just a car. Also, I would have no problems / reservations commuting in my Cherokee.

In fact, I'm looking for a 5 speed Cherokee.

Where is CNY? There are a lot of used cars down here in South Texas for that kind of money. Hop on a plane with $5k in your pocket and drive home with one.

I had a couple of VWs. A Beetle and a SuperBeetle.

I was forever fixing things on them. Discovered the driver's side heat exchanger didn't work on the Beetle in an ice storm. The passenger side would melt the ice on the windshield but the driver side would not. Made for an interesting ride home. Chased electrical gremlins through it continuously

The SuperBeetle felt lighter, steered better, had more comfortable high back seats, an AM/FM radio, and a working hand cranked sunroof (egads! a working old German sunroof) but I nudged a parking curb and bent the swaybar/strut rod mount back. It would forever pull to the right after that. The battery tray rotted out and dumped the battery on the ground. The heat exchangers leaked exhaust into the car and were completely eliminated for a Monza exhaust.

Neither had air conditioning. Neither were good freeway cars (even with the "freeway burner" 4th gear ratio on the SuperBeetle which actually should have been called a "freeway forces you to shift back down to 3rd if you plan on accelerating at all. Flooring it just changes the sound coming out of the back")

The pedals are hinged from the floor and that takes some getting used to. I thought I had broken the clutch cable and drove home starting the car in 1st and using the throttle to upshift but the cable eye had just popped off the pedal hook.

Drum brakes all the way around. Not real good brakes. I might go as far as to say that they were adequate.

All that and I would still love to have another Type-1. No one will ever make a car like that again. Not for the USA anyway.

There's something to be said about a car that is not particularly reliable and yet you do not worry that it will strand you because whatever it is, you can fix it. (except for that stupid strut rod mount)

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
3693610899_a852672f21.jpg

My last older car was a W126. Better car than a lot of new ones, certainly a better car than the W220 S class.

bmw_m635_csi_2.jpg

3194899885_d8f329299d.jpg

Whats wrong with an older car? I'd take an older M6 over the new bloated one without a second thought.

A Jag XKE is a blast to drive and just drop dead beautiful to look it. It doesn't need all the Ipod plug in, electronic [censored] to do that, 20 years from now all the above vehicles will still be beautiful, wonderfully fun cars to drive. While the modern ones that are knew today are old clunkers.

That Jag is hot. I bet you turn more heads in the classic than you would in a new one.

I have a new Civic and I miss my older cars every day. Something I love about a nice older simple car with nothing to go wrong. I miss my Saturns the most. No frills and fun to drive. Cheap as can be to operate too. I don't get jealous at all, infact I am jealous of people with good condition older cars. Car payments are lame.

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie
Ill give an example. Ive been obsessed about getting a new car for about 6 months straight now, and I mean 6 months everyday on my mind 24/7, its jumped across a few different cars. I dont care much about cars performance but mostly about the looks and having a nice car get attention. I dont even know why I think this way for cars cause generally speaking I dont like attention. I was actually this close about 99% to getting a new car last March but I backed out last minute, very last min. I even had the deposit down and all I had to do was sign the papers. But I went in that morning and backed out.

I just couldnt do it, I had people talk me out of it the night before. it would put me in too much debt again and huge overpayment for it after the term was done. Be wasting a ton of money overpaying for a car that would be worth 1/3 or 1/4 when im done paying it off. It would have set me back in life for a long time.

I just cant afford a new car, in no situation to even consider a new car. But right now ever since I saw the new Toyota Scion FRS that is what i want so bad. I would do anything for that car, anything. I cant get this [censored] car off my mind. Just look at the car pics online and tell me its not a car that would car heads, a lot of heads?

Not only is it way out of my price range (31k OTD, not including any interest) but I just cant get a new car period. My family would freak out when they find out. They might even make me return it. But its such a nice car.

I dont know what the [censored] is wrong with me but I just cant seem to be happy with my old civic. I hate being in it, I hate being seen in it, Im embarassed, I feel jealous when I see new cars, wishing I had one. Ive had so many people give me advice on how to just be happy with it. I did when I bought it almost 23 months ago but oh how the tides have turned in being bored and unhappy with it now. I dont know why its so hard for me but I need to smarten up and realize that having a nice car isnt an important thing in life. It isnt important at all.

Jealousy has to do with people. Envy is more in line with the feelings you describe.

You seem to feel this same way about employment, housing, vittles and the like.

Often when one is given much they fail to appreciate what it really takes to acquire the means to have what they desire: usually this is hard work and effort on their part.

When the family doesn't provide the guidance and support (moral, not monetary) and modern society easily installs the entitlements mentality, one can easily slip into the "Why me?" mode...

Why don't you yet have what you seem to desire? Perhaps because you have never really decided it was worthwhile enough for you to work hard for it. This includes the new car you seem to want to be seen in and the respect & consideration you wish to receive from your family.

Unfortunately you will have to earn it.

Good luck & Cheers!

I'm not the least bit jealous of all the newer cars and the people driving them;

why???

Cause mine are all paid for, very comfortable, nice cold a/c (it's HOT here right now, can't you tell), very reliable, and they all still look and shine up new.

I'm actually very proud of the vehicles in my driveway, for starters, they're all very good looking vehicles for their age, and not one of them has rust, dents, faded paint, etc.

Currently in our driveway:

91 rodeo 350k miles
96 chrysler t&country minivan 128k
97 rodeo 205k
01 dodge diesel 140k
04 Tacoma 140k

All of them are kept riding on tires 5yrs or less in age, every one of them has had a timing belt/water pump, entire upgraded cooling system intervals in the last few years, etc and I'm so glad I can afford to do those items due to lack of car payments.

Am I jealous of new owners....heck no! We get to go on 1-2 wk trips every summer, run our boat, fill the house with groceries, feed the dogs top quality diets, etc.

The vehicles get taken care of just as well as we and the dogs do, but if we had car payments, it wouldn't be as easy.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Carnoobie,

What year is your Civic ?

01. I feel embarassed just saying that. I dont tell everyone that cause of it. And it looks hideous and badly outdated. If i ever go on a date, I wont take a girl in it. When I park, I always park in an area where not many other cars will see me. I never park it on a busy street.

Last edited:
I love my 97! I'm not sure if that is "old" though. The only comments I get on it is on how good the condition is and how clean it is. Now if I could bring my apartment up to speed...
I give girls rides in my car. Only heard about how clean it is! If its clean and smells like strawberry (california something. Under the pass seat) no one notices the cassette player.

There's nothing wrong with a 2001 Civic. Its not like you are driving a 1986 CRX that is falling apart. You must be exaggerating a tiny bit.

In life you have to be content with what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back