2004 Buick Lesabre 3800 V6 5087 Miles G-Oil 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 Buick Lesabre w/ 3800 Series II V6 G-Oil 5W30 and A Pureone Filter. 54,239 mi on the car and 5,087 mi on the oil. The analysis was performed by ALS/WIX. It appears to have sheared as others have found with G-Oil so should I extend the OCI or stick with 5k runs? Driving style is 80/20 Highway/City.
Thanks!

Code:
OIL G-OIL 5W30

MILES IN USE 5087 MILES

MILES 54239 MILES

SAMPLE TAKEN 01 JUN 2012

ALUMINUM 5

CHROMIUM
IRON 6

COPPER 13

LEAD 4

TIN 1

MOLYBDENUM 81

NICKEL
MANGANESE N/A

SILVER
TITANIUM
POTASSIUM
BORON 139

SILICON 13

SODIUM 12

CALCIUM 1887

MAGNESIUM 6

PHOSPHORUS 718

ZINC 867

BARIUM

INSOLUBLES N/A

WATER
FLASHPOINT ºF N/A

SUS VIS 210ºF N/A

cSt @ 212ºF 8.4

TBN 3.6

0001.jpg

Last edited:
Those engines have a reputation of lasting a very very long time. When they do fail it's usually after a hydrolocking event. Aside from that I've only ever seen two fail. One threw a rod through the radiator after an hour and a half on the Parkway in third gear with a driver who usually drives in the 90 to 95 MPH range on that road. The other had over 60k miles without a top-off let alone an oil change. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Edit:
then again, thick might have been good in those situations...

Last edited:
Looks good, with the shearing that seems characteristic of G-Oil UOAs, along with the low wear metals (for this breed of engine) that G-Oil seems to deliver. TBN is better than what we see in most G-Oil UOAs.
Sodium and Potassium may be a little high.
LIM gaskets, or did this engine have a dry intake manifold by 2004?
Based upon TBN in this UOA, 6K would certainly be safe with this oil as you use this car.
If TBN was 3.6 at 5K, 8K on an OCI with G-Oil is probably doable.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Looks good, with the shearing that seems characteristic of G-Oil UOAs, along with the low wear metals (for this breed of engine) that G-Oil seems to deliver. TBN is better than what we see in most G-Oil UOAs.
Sodium and Potassium may be a little high.
LIM gaskets, or did this engine have a dry intake manifold by 2004?
Based upon TBN in this UOA, 6K would certainly be safe with this oil as you use this car.
If TBN was 3.6 at 5K, 8K on an OCI with G-Oil is probably doable.

It has the LIM Gaskets so this is a job I have on my to do list.

I'm thinking you should switch to 10W-30 Chevron. This Pontiac has the exact same engine
as your LeSabre and it went over 7000 miles on its OCI and got slightly better wear numbers:

Click Here

5W30 is spec'd for this engine for 2004... I really do not see why a 10W30 would be a better solution.

I own a 2003 Monte Carlo SS and 2004 Impala SS(Supercharger) with the 3800 and use 5W30 PYB or PP in both engines depending on how long I want to run the OCI's. I usually do 5K OCI's with PP and 3K with PYB.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
5W30 is spec'd for this engine for 2004... I really do not see why a 10W30 would be a better solution.

Because it returns better analysis results.

Although in Wisconsin I'd stick to the 5w30 for most of the year...

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
In this application is the G-oil any better than PYB? If the rebate is not available.

Last time I was at Walmart, PYB cost about $16 for 5 quart jug, while G-Oil 5W30 cost $26. Without the rebate, PYB seems like a better deal. However, it's hard to beat FAR G-Oil. So far, I don't remember seeing a bad G-Oil UOA. Both are fine IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back