Le Mans Corvette uses Mobil 1 0w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
24 hr Le Mans. Higher viscosity for long endurance racing due to fuel dilution issues.

Wonder why they used 0W50 instead of the 5W50 in the Mustang high performance engine?

Never mind. I just checked, and the 0W50 is a special racing formula with almost twice as much zinc and phosphorous as the 5W50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
. Higher viscosity for long endurance racing due to fuel dilution issues.

What is causing the fuel dilution issues?? Why wouldn't the high engine temperature burn it off??

Originally Posted By: Gabe

What is causing the fuel dilution issues?? Why wouldn't the high engine temperature burn it off??

That could be. I really don't know. I read an article by Motul a few years back that said higher viscosity 50 grades are used in endurance racing because of fuel dilutions.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Wonder why they used 0W50 instead of the 5W50 in the Mustang high performance engine?

Never mind. I just checked, and the 0W50 is a special racing formula with almost twice as much zinc and phosphorous as the 5W50.

The 0w50 is part of a new generation of M1 Racing oil.

Originally Posted By: Gabe

They are running rich under power enrichment for maximum power. I don't think the oil temperature fuel dilution burn off alone can prevent dilution.

I wonder why they don't use 15W50 as it seems that would be more fuel dilution sheering stable and 0W isn't needed.

Oil temp alone cannot eliminate fuel dilution with stinking rich tuning.

My car has the same issue... despite oil temps that are always a bit high IMO.

Right, in endurance racing fuel dilution is a problem and must be compensated for.
BTW, the M1 0W-50 is not an especially heavy oil with a HTHSV of 4.1cP and it's 189 VI. Not much heavier than M1 0W-40 (HTHSV 3.8cP, VI 185).

It's interesting to see these high powered engines using high viscosity index oils. Mobil's 50 grades have become much lighter over the years. HT/HS is down. A lot of it may have to due with engine design.

Corvette's LeMans racing engines aren't the feral beasts they used to be. Since the factory Corvette effort went from 7-liter to 5.5-liter engines with air restrictors, the power is way down. And the current race engines use direct fuel injection. Maybe they're concerned about fuel dilution because of this.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I wonder why they don't use 15W50 as it seems that would be more fuel dilution sheering stable and 0W isn't needed.

Because it has much more detergents, and MUCH lower ZDDP & moly levels than the Racing 0W-50 (which suprisingly also has a VERY high TBN, I guess to combat those dilution issues??
21.gif
)

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Corvette's LeMans racing engines aren't the feral beasts they used to be. Since the factory Corvette effort went from 7-liter to 5.5-liter engines with air restrictors, the power is way down. And the current race engines use direct fuel injection. Maybe they're concerned about fuel dilution because of this.

I did not know they were DI, thanks for that info!!
thumbsup2.gif

If the FIA did not restrict the air inlets down to the size of a durned quarter, even the 5.5s would be making BIG power.
frown.gif

(On a side note; I wonder if the factory/street C7s are going to have the rumored 5.5L displacement?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back