Packard spark plug wires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my dad's 2001 4.3L S10 is finally getting the IM gaskets replaced as they are just about done. While in there, the plugs and wires are getting replaced. I noticed the brand on the vehicle currently are PACKARD. Is this higher quality than AC Delco standard replacements or Delphi I could get at AAP, etc?

The plan is AC Delco plugs with either Delphi or Delco wires. Thanks for any tips.

EDIT: These are the original plug wires, so I was thrown off by the Packard.

Last edited:
I'm using a set of Packard wires on my Riviera right now. Good stuff.
smile.gif

Packard wire used to be copper core wire, with no resistor.
It was available here in Canada without end clips (they were bought separately)
As un suppressed wires were not street legal.

I guess this is a new, upto date version of the old Packard wire?

Hmm, makes me wonder if it's worth getting a dealer quote since Delphi is around $70 and Delco replacements around $100. Perhaps they still have Packard. I've also noticed an AC Delco "pro" grade offering.

Last edited:
Packard is still used as a brand name by Delphi. Used to be the Packard Electrical Division of GM. The Delphi set would be the same as the ACDelco as both are produced by Delphi Corp. All should be the sprial wound mag core style wire on that engine.

Packard Electic was a division of GM, and OE wires use to say "Packard" on them up till about '02 or so I think. After that the OE wires usually said "ACDelco". Then you have Packard Delphi, with Delphi use to be under GM.

As of now I think AC Delco is considered the OE replacement, which could be Delphi Packard, who knows. AcDelco has two lines so you have to get the OE part number.

^Okay, according to AC Delco's website: 9746KK is their professional grade and 746KK is their standard replacement.

I'm going with the 9746KK and purchasing from AAP.

EDIT: Appears no one nearby has the AC Delco, so I'll see what the dealers ask around here. lol

The 746KK is the OE line and 9746KK is the aftermarket or professional line. The 746KK would being OE are much more expensive and probably a dealer or online available.

Hmm, interesting. I found a better deal at O'reilly auto for the 9746KK compared to AAP. I may call to see what the dealer wants for the OE line. Thank you.

So, the truck is in the shop for the LIM gasket replacement. Will update post installation, as it looks like pops apparently grabbed up a BWD distributor cap and rotor combo to throw at it. (entry, not BWD select)

Reviews seem okay, but I don't know why he chose that brand after going all AC Delco before in regards to OE iridium plugs and 'aftermarket' OE 9746KK wires. (decided on those instead of dealer offered wires)

The main thing is getting that coolant leak handled. I can always swap the cap/rotor out later.
grin2.gif

Forget them both and get a good MSD wire set. Cost the same or less than your Delco price and they are better. 8.5mm, much less resistance and a pretty red color.

Serious - MSD is good stuff. I used to stick with AC DELCO wires on my Corvette but after the original set went and I used a ACDelco replacement set - they both simply did not last and were not as durable (thin 7mm) as the MSD set. I've used them on my truck, Grand National and others.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say they're necessarily the best for the price but sometimes the ACDelco OE wires last a long time though. I see some cars with over 200k miles and over 15 years old with the original wires. My '97 Malibu has the original ACDelco wires. It's been through a couple plug changes and removed to replace the intake gasket. As long as the resistance test good and they are not damaged, I just keep running the originals.

The odd thing about a solid or stranded wire set is that the spark energy does not always travel through it like common sense would dictate.
At those voltages and recurrent speeds, there can be a plasma field that is outside the wire, and the current goes through this!

Just FYI: The ACDelco wire sets with the '9' ahead of the part no. usually look slightly different and are usually made in China Where the set without the 9 are more like OE and are made in Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back