Sawdust in the trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Storys of saw dust and heavy oils in the tranny, and sawdust in a rear diff to "cover up or patch the problem" long enuff to sell trade it off.. its old school sneaky dishonest.. i heard dad and grandpa tell these storys back in the day, Sawdust is not so much of a issue in todays market.. or so im told.. but if a dishonest has a noisy car, there are plenty of thing you can put in them to calm the noise long enuff to sell/trade off.. Lucas products can be popular for this.

It must be true, because Barney (Andy Griffith show) spent his life savings of $300 to buy a 1954 Ford ''only driven to church on Sunday" from a sweet old lady.
The car doesn't even make it back to Mayberry before it breaks down...and the 'sweet old lady' is no where to be found. Not only that, but a closer inspection of the car proves it was deliberately misrepresented--with sawdust poured into the transmission.

tvland.com/shows/andy-griffith-show/full-episodes/barney-s-first-car

Last edited:
Friend bought a car & next day was broke down. When he pulled the tranny pan, he found strips/straps and chunks of leather. Never did figure what the leather was doing in there as he just ended up throwing in a used tranny.

But the Andy Griffith Show also showed the steering shaft working its way out (complete with horn button) right into Barney's face.When he grabbed it,it went "limp" (no pun).Gomer claimed it was because someone overly greased the steering column (who ever greased a steering column....and what would they use for grease??? lol).

Originally Posted By: carwreck
tvland.com/shows/andy-griffith-show/full-episodes/barney-s-first-car

classic, love it

Ya I remember that one now. It's great! I like the part where Gomer says somethging like "It's gonna need pistons, rings,valves,oil pump, water pump, fuel pump, spark plugs, spark plug wares, points, condenser etc".
LOLOLOL

I used to work at a Dodge dealer and we had a customer bring in a Ram truck they just bought. It was from one of those local dealers that you know nobody should buy from. Well we found out what the issue was. they wanted us to change the oil along with going over the whole vehicle to make sure everything was OK. Well we had a really hard time putting oil back in it because the valve covers were literally filled with grease to quiet down the valve train which must have been noisy without it. They were not too pleased.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
But the Andy Griffith Show also showed the steering shaft working its way out (complete with horn button) right into Barney's face.When he grabbed it,it went "limp" (no pun).Gomer claimed it was because someone overly greased the steering column (who ever greased a steering column....and what would they use for grease??? lol).

Have you owned a Silverado? Greasing the column is one of the fixes for a rattle that can drive you crazy in some of them!

I read this post yesterday, and that episode of The Andy Griffith Show came to mind.
smile.gif

RIP Andy.
frown.gif

It must be true, because Barney (Andy Griffith show) spent his life savings of $300 to buy a 1954 Ford ''only driven to church on Sunday" from a sweet old lady.
The car doesn't even make it back to Mayberry before it breaks down...and the 'sweet old lady' is no where to be found. Not only that, but a closer inspection of the car proves it was deliberately misrepresented--with sawdust poured into the transmission.

I saw that episode last weekend, it was great.

Did anybody notice that Sam the butcher picked up the little old lady in the station wagon?

I want Aunt B's ragtop Ford!

Sawdust in rear ends really was used to quiet noise. Usually to sell a car.
I'm sure manual trannys got their share, too.
But since rear ends have that 90 deg power flow, they are heavily loaded and would wear and make a lot of noise in the old days.

My friend is a semi-retired large diesel and automobile mechanic, and he has told me a few stories about how "back in the day" sawdust in the trans was a "quick fix" to hold it together to sell it.

Another trick he told me about putting a ping pong ball in the gas tank (these were the old leaded fuel cars with the wide filler necks) of someone's car who you didn't like. The ping pong ball would float harmlessly in the tank when there was a lot of fuel present, but when one got low on gas the ping pong ball would get sucked up by the fuel pump and starve the motor. Once you put enough fuel back in the tank the ping pong ball would move and the car would run again.

I knew a guy with a late 1940's Chevy that had a rod knock. They drained the oil and filled the motor with gear lube, pushed it within a few blocks of a dealer, started it and drove it in and traded it off.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch

I saw that episode last weekend, it was great.

Did anybody notice that Sam the butcher picked up the little old lady in the station wagon?

Sure did!! Alice`s boyfriend on the Brady Bunch! Did you see that wagon lean in the turn he made? I thought it was going to land on it`s side! Another thing I noticed was how HUGE the old steering wheels were.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back