Quaker State QS3387A, 3k miles - media failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a few pictures of a Quaker State QS3387A filter taken off a 2005 Chevrolet Impala with the 3.8 V6. Filter was run for 3000 miles with Mobil Super 5000 (oil changed early due to an error in my records, found after the oil change!).

As you can see, the filter media has several small tears. My best guess is that the media was folded down by the seam in the factory before the installation, and the oil pressure pushed it a little farther down, causing the rips you see. Not really pleased. I don't think it hurt the engine any that I'll notice, but still.

Thoughts?

IMG_1592.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

Next picture shows the tear - the two pleats on either side of the seam are torn at the top where they attach. The pleat on the left was also torn at the bottom, although this isn't captured in the picture.

IMG_1594.JPG

A closer picture of the tear.

IMG_1595.JPG

And again.

IMG_1596.JPG

Originally Posted By: chad8
So purolator/quaker State is the new fram !!

shocked2.gif
You didn't....

Well that sucks. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

This sure doesn't lend any credence to my thought that the gap at the seam is "just cosmetic". It would be interesting to see if they are both from the same production run, or around the same time.

Itslimjim, I agree. That said there is still a seam gap on some higher end filters. I think more media helps minimize it but it still could be an issue.

I would still like to try Purolator but I would probably get P1s anyway.

Originally Posted By: cp3

This sure doesn't lend any credence to my thought that the gap at the seam is "just cosmetic". It would be interesting to see if they are both from the same production run, or around the same time.

My conclusion on the Purolator Classic failure that I had (link posted earlier) was due to the pleats near the seam being too spaced out. Once the pleats start folding over due to the oil flow, the base can tear as seen in these photos. Also, on the Classic failure I had, the media seemed very brittle and would tear very easily by just bending the pleats open quite a bit by hand.

Been many dissected QS filters posted here, afaik this is the first to show any kind if issue. It appears the theory relating the wider pleat region and oil pressure over time causing the breach, is probable. So, will you be using QS filters again?

I tend to agree with Slim's comment here.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
So, will you be using QS filters again?

I've actually posted a few of those QS photos, and frankly stopped posting for a while because I cut open quite a few with no issues like this.

As others have said, you'll find defects in any product line if you look enough. I have more QS filters in stock, and I intend to use them - and even go back to Menards to get some $2 filters when they go on sale!

So this experience hasn't soured me from QS filters. If it becomes a pattern, though, I will likely switch.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Looks familiar ... see link. That QS filter is basically a Purolator Classic.

Yes, quite similar defect here. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm going to watch the rest of my QS filters closely.

Is there a date code on that QS filter? I think I see it on the dome.

On the dome it just gives the filter type (QS3387A). However, it does have a code stamped on the side: F04 C05D2

2012-07-10%252008.40.34.jpg

Good news was, not a total catastrophic failure... it didn't send pieces of media into the engine or anything.

May be a good idea to try moving up to a bit heavier made filter. Baldwin/Hastings is my favorite for durability...

The date code F04 C05D2 means is was made on April 5th, 2011 on line E on 2nd shift at the Fayetteville NC plant (ie, Purolator plant).

The date code F04 C05D2 means is was made on April 5th, 2011 on line E on 2nd shift at the Fayetteville NC plant (ie, Purolator plant).

that's impressive!

Originally Posted By: zerosoma

that's impressive!

The "Rain Man" of oil filters!
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: kender
Originally Posted By: zerosoma

that's impressive!

The "Rain Man" of oil filters!
whistle.gif

lol

lol.gif
... Rain Man. Anyone can do it with the secret code. Works for Purolator filters, or other filters made by Purolator that use their date code.

PurolatorOilFilterDateCode.jpg

Most impressive, ZeeOSix!

Do you happen to have the date code from your filter that failed?

Originally Posted By: ABerns
Most impressive, ZeeOSix!

Do you happen to have the date code from your filter that failed?

I thought I had it recorded somewhere, but can't find it. I didn't say in my thread either. I know it wasn't as new as the QS filter was.

I think sayjac had a Purolator Classic with the same exact date code as my failed one. But his didn't have the media tear, but did show evidence of wide pleat spacing near the seam and the pleats trying to fold down.

I had two Classic L14459 with the same code as ZO, purchased on sale and with rebate. The first had wider pleat areas and endcaps that weren't parrallel, but there was no media breach. Went ahead and used the second and just recently took it off, looked somewhat better than the first also no breach/tear. Both were run ~5k and had an A year code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back