What bike brand can I buy that not made in China?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shopping for a new bike. Nothing too serious or expensive. I was ready to pull the trigger on a new Trek but a sticker on the front said made in China so I am rethinking my purchase.

It appears Specialized is also made in China.

As well as Cannondale.

Those are the three predominat brands sold at the shops in my area that I have been to so far. Is there a brand that is not made in China that I can look for?

Thanks.

It really depends on the level of the bike.
A lot of the higher end bikes are made in North America still, but the lower end models are often made off shore.

Cannondale moved only recently.. But I still think their low end bikes were made in Asia quite some time ago.

There might be two brands made in Canada, Raleigh and Norco. I am not sure you will have to check further.

A more expensive bike is worth it. I ride a Rivendell, custom made in Walnut Creek, CA by a person with some steel tubes and a brazing torch.

Thank you for the replies.

Unfortunately it is not looking too easy to stay away from a Chinese made product in my price range. However I also dont want to necessarily double my budget to stay away from a Chinese made product.

There is one other shop in town I have not been to yet. I know they sell Raleigh and perhaps some other brands.

Maybe I will get lucky
smile.gif

You can't win on this. If anything support a brand that is happily known as Canadian or American. Even if you get a Canadian made frame, the rest of the parts are all made god knows where. Not that thats a bad thing. Sram and Shimano both make great stuff.

Look at Devinci, Norco, Brodie, Cove, Rocky Mountain, Knolly (all Canadian)

Most of these companies have their lower end bikes made off shore, but the higher end bikes are usually made on North American soil. Again, just the frame is the only thing that distinguishes brands. The rest all comes from the same bin. (components, etc)

Sadly, this is pretty much like trying to buy a laptop that's not made in China--it's possible, but really expensive.

Raleigh was one of the last companies, along with Trek, to make mid-range bikes in the US. They've both moved that production overseas (though Trek does make some high-end stuff here). You can still build up a bike of first-world parts (U.S. frame, Japanese components, etc), but it's hard to do it for less than 2K.

Originally Posted By: dparm
http://surlybikes.com/

These guys make AWESOME bikes.

...in Taiwan.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Surly 1x1 fork on one of my bikes (which has a 10 year old, Gary Fisher US-made frame) and it is excellent for what it is, but at last check all their frames & frame components are made for them overseas.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: dparm
http://surlybikes.com/

These guys make AWESOME bikes.

...in Taiwan.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Surly 1x1 fork on one of my bikes (which has a 10 year old, Gary Fisher US-made frame) and it is excellent for what it is, but at last check all their frames & frame components are made for them overseas.

yes. surly is a small group of guys affiliated with QBP(quality bicycle products, a 1st rate bike distributor), and they have their bikes made in Taiwan.

My Lynskey's are proudly made in Tennessee - but nothing in your price range.

Maybe Waterford??

Last edited:
Even though it's Taiwan, I would not put them in the same class as other Chinese bicycles. If you read their website they are clearly on a mission to build a good bike.

The best the OP will probably be able to do is Taiwan. That's actually fine with me. I don't mind buying Taiwanese products. The quality is usually better and there are other political reasons that Taiwan can be viewed as better than China, but I won't go there.

To the OP- are you sure the Specialized bikes you saw were all made in China? I was looking at some recently and many of the frames were made in Taiwan. Most of them had a sticker on the bottom of the top tube that had the country of origin.

Also, from what I've seen, most of the brands people here have said might not be made in China are probably made in China. Some may be Taiwan, though.

We have one Taiwanese bike and Several Chinese bikes. The Taiwanese bike was significantly better assembled and tuned right out of the box than the Chinese bikes. My Chinese road bike had really untrue wheels and misrouted cables right out of the box.

Last edited:
Whether the bike is made in China or Taiwan, it comes down to the tech that assembled the bike.

I will say I've seen more than a few crooked Chinese frames and never any from Taiwan.

Consider that high end bikes are made in Taiwan, and lower end are made in China, however.

Again, you will not find a US or Canadian made bike for anywhere under probably $2000. It doesn't matter whether it's Devinci, Surly, Norco, Raleigh, they all outsource frame production on their bread and butter bikes. The Canadian bike companies(Norco, Rocky Mountain, Devinci) aren't some sort of holdout on the move to Asia.

So its unfortunate I cannot find one made in the USA in my price range. I still plan to buy a bike though.

I was originally considering a Trek but it looks like in Specialized, Raleigh, and Redline I can get a lot more bike for not much more money than the Trek.

The bike that has my attention at the moment is a Redline that is on sale for $600 (list for $750), I do not remember the model, with hydralic disc brakes and a lockout front suspension. The Trek was $500 and had a rigid front fork and and compression brakes. I belive the deraillurs are better on the Redline as well.

I have not researched Redline at all so I might check them out a bit.

And I think I might head back and see again what Specialized has to offer.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back