My new 300 has HIR headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got to drive my new Chrysler 300 at night for the first time a couple days ago and I was really impressed with the headlights. It uses a single projector lens for both high and low beam and the bulb is a 9012 HIR. It's nearly as bright as the HID 300M Special headlights I put in my old 300M.

Sounds neat. The beam pattern is so important. My 04 saab has about the best pattern Ive ever seen.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Sounds neat. The beam pattern is so important. My 04 saab has about the best pattern Ive ever seen.

It has the typical Z-beam pattern of most OEM domestic projector headlights. Very sharp cutoff and a lot of lateral spread with no holes. The perfect pattern, IMO.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Was it Toshiba or Sylvania bulbs?

I haven't pulled to bulbs to look. I don't think Toshiba makes these anymore. It's probably a Phillips bulb.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
The next step would be to see how much they cost at the dealership...see if there is a potential deal to be had.

Hopefully, I won't have to worry about replacing the bulbs for a good long time.

Everyone bad mouthed my cars HID's when it was delivered in August of 05.

"Those bulbs burn out quick", "Be careful how much you turn them on and off", etc.

They are still working great and have been flawless. Personally it took a while to get used to that 'perfect' cut off line in the beam pattern.

HIR is different from HID.

I love HIR bulbs. And I'm surprised to hear that OEMs are now using them. That's great! Good on you, Chrysler!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
HIR is different from HID.

I love HIR bulbs. And I'm surprised to hear that OEMs are now using them. That's great! Good on you, Chrysler!

Chrysler has used HIR as standard equipment in the Viper for years. I think the new 300 is their first use in other Chrysler vehicles.

Just so folks will know what we're talking about, here is a comparison between a 9012 HIR (left) and a 9006 halogen (right). The 9006 bulb is rated at 1000 lumens at 55 watts. The 9012 bulb is rated at 1875 lumens at the same 55 watts.

9005XV_vs_9012.jpg

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
That's actually a picture I took of HIR vs. stock in my 2007 Corolla.
smile.gif

I knew I'd seen it somewhere and Googled it.
thumbsup2.gif

Our Acura has HB3 (9005) in the main (reflector) beams, but H11 in the dip (projector) beams. I do wish the projectors took the HB4 (9006) so I could put HIR2s in them.

Thanks for pointing out the differences. BTW people can trim the bulbs and install HIR's in almost anything.

I was more interested in the beam pattern as that's one of the things I do NOT like about the modern headlight designs. The ultra-abrupt cutoff is moving and distracting at first.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Thanks for pointing out the differences. BTW people can trim the bulbs and install HIR's in almost anything.

Yes, they can be installed in any HB3/HB4 base, as the shape of the bulb-to-housing interface is the same. Any other base (like an H9/H11 or others) are not compatible at all.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I was more interested in the beam pattern as that's one of the things I do NOT like about the modern headlight designs. The ultra-abrupt cutoff is moving and distracting at first.

Honestly, this is one of the reasons I don't prefer HID lighting systems. The light output is so bright, and necessarily aimed where it is to prevent glare, that it's hard for my eyes to focus down the road. Tons of foreground light, very little (to no) distance light. So my distance vision ends up being worse than with standard lights.

I think something with an HIR setup is the best compromise. H11s used to be about as good as it got with standard halogen systems, but I'm real glad to see HIRs being used at the OEM level on "normal" cars these days (the comment about the Dodge Viper was correct, but few could benefit from that system). Frankly, I'd like to see everything with separate main and dip beam segments move to HIR technology. I'd REALLY like to see them adapt HIR technology to dual-filament bulbs (like the H4s in my Honda), but that may be asking too much.

Quote:

It uses a single projector lens for both high and low beam and the bulb is a 9012 HIR.

Is 912HIR dual filament bulb?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:

It uses a single projector lens for both high and low beam and the bulb is a 9012 HIR.

Is 912HIR dual filament bulb?

9012 is a single filament bulb. In a projector type light, it can function as both high and low beam because when the high beam switch is flipped, the shutter inside the projector housing that creates the low beam cutoff is moved out of the way by a solenoid. It's the same set up as on Bi-Xenon HID projector headlights.

The high beam pattern on these lights is spectacular, BTW.

I use the 9012 HIR bulbs, also. I get them from my local John Deere store. They still carry the Toshibas, which IMHO are superior to the Philips. They aren't white like HIDs, but are way better than any halogen I've ever used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back