505.01 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I am the proud owner of a 2002 VW Jetta TDI that has 82k miles!

I need to figure out "off the self oils" that meet the 505.01 spec but my brief trip to Walmart I had trouble finding one. It was suggested to me by a friend who has run PCMO 5w-30 Valvoline Synthetic for 300k miles in his TDI but I have read that could kill the cam. Suggestions?

Your 2002 Jetta does not require 505.1 oil. Most any Diesel spec oil will be just fine. Use a synrhetic 5W40 and you can go 10,000 miles or one year on OCIs. The 505.1 oils are required for later model diesels than yours.

A 2002? You don't need 505.01. Just the '04 thro '06(?). You can run 505.01 but it's not required for that TDI.

Congrads on the purchase! What transmission does it have? I'd do the timing belt before long, and make sure you have a well-qualified person do it.

As said before, you don't need any specification on your oil except CJ-4. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck, Shell Rotella T6, Schaeffer 9000 or Amsoil DEO are all excellent synthetic 5w40s that will make the factory oil change interval of 10k miles/1 year with ease. For 2003 and earlier TDIs, Mobil 1 0w40 is another choice but inappropriate for 2004+ models.

For what it's worth, I've run our 2000 Beetle TDI on TDT, T6, Schaeffer 9000 & Amsoil AFL and it continues to run flawlessly. The ALH engine isn't picky on oil so long as it's diesel-rated. 15w40 will even work in a pinch but I'd loathe to run it in the winter.

Originally Posted By: supton
A 2002? You don't need 505.01. Just the '04 thro '06(?). You can run 505.01 but it's not required for that TDI.

Congrads on the purchase! What transmission does it have? I'd do the timing belt before long, and make sure you have a well-qualified person do it.

Interesting I could have sworn it was a requirement for that 1.9, it has a 5sp manual (I hate auto's and this is my 4th car that is 5sp) and I am not new to intalling timing belts but from what I have seen it can be fun and reguire tools like my wife's Ody, my old 89 Integra was easy as [censored] to time and was DOHC.

If he somehow got one with a PD engine, he does need a 505.01 oil or equivalent to follow the VW recommendation. However, many PD owners, like me, now use M-1 TDT or similar oil in their PDs.

Otherwise, he can use any good 5w-40 diesel synthetic, like M-1 TDT.

Originally Posted By: Boatowner
If he somehow got one with a PD engine, he does need a 505.01 oil or equivalent to follow the VW recommendation. However, many PD owners, like me, now use M-1 TDT or similar oil in their PDs.

Otherwise, he can use any good 5w-40 diesel synthetic, like M-1 TDT.

I believe it is a CR as it has 4 tubes running from the pump off the timing belt to the head.

Originally Posted By: Provi
Interesting I could have sworn it was a requirement for that 1.9, it has a 5sp manual (I hate auto's and this is my 4th car that is 5sp) and I am not new to intalling timing belts but from what I have seen it can be fun and reguire tools

505.00 was the original spec for ALH-powered TDIs.

There's a great timing belt DIY guide on TDIClub. Buy or rent the Metalnerd tool kit; IDParts, Metalmanparts or Dieselgeek for the belt kit with the TTY bolts & metal impeller water pump.

It's a fairly easy, if time consuming process. The only gotcha could be if your flywheel was replaced with one that lacks a TDC mark... or has two TDC marks like my wife's car.

Originally Posted By: Boatowner
However, many PD owners, like me, now use M-1 TDT or similar oil in their PDs.

I do as well; my Golf has had Schaeffer 9000 for the last couple years with excellent UOAs. I'm nearly out of it but have a nice stash of TDT to go in at the next oil change.

Originally Posted By: Provi
I believe it is a CR as it has 4 tubes running from the pump off the timing belt to the head.

Nope. Those are the fuel lines from the rotary pump to the injectors.

PD motor lacks the pump, and is easier to do the timing belt on. It also comes with a better automatic. That said, you've got the setup that will get better mpg's, is somewhat easier to modify (nozzles, turbo, etc) and doens't have the PD camshaft issues. Just go by the instructions, and change all indicated stretch bolts; and you should be all set.

Good luck!

PD motor lacks the pump, and is easier to do the timing belt on. It also comes with a better automatic. That said, you've got the setup that will get better mpg's, is somewhat easier to modify (nozzles, turbo, etc) and doens't have the PD camshaft issues.

...except for the ones in late 2001 through 2002 that did have poor metallurgy camshafts. Well documented on TDIClub.

Timing belt is much easier to do on PDs and driving my RC1 Golf always gives me a giggle compared to the bone-stock Beetle. The Beetle does get better fuel economy in all situations compared with the Golf, though. Acting as the chase car while the Golf pulled a U-Haul trailer from Baltimore to Chicago, the Beetle got 49+ mpg the entire way!

WMSmotorhead said:
For most VW's I use this stuff. Mag1 has always been good to me.

I would recommend being very carefull about using that particular 5/40 synthetic as although the numbers look good and very similar to the oil I use, it is not a VW approved oil and saying that it meets the various VW specs has no legal meaning.
Some of the ultra cheap poor base stock oils from China sold on the Internet (They are mostly HC synthetic) have a nasty habit of listing all the right "Meets the requirements of XX" and listing some good contents and specs without any type of cross check.
An oil analysis lab in Germany had a look at such a 5/40 HC truck oil recently and was horrified due to the fact it was well out of spec and would suffer high evapouration losses as a result. My guess was that looking at the OA results, they were in fact selling an oil designed for older Chinese or Russian trucks for use in winter only. It was a diesel or old car spec oil with very high old fashion detergent additives.

PD motor lacks the pump, and is easier to do the timing belt on. It also comes with a better automatic. That said, you've got the setup that will get better mpg's, is somewhat easier to modify (nozzles, turbo, etc) and doens't have the PD camshaft issues. Just go by the instructions, and change all indicated stretch bolts; and you should be all set.

Good luck!

Technically, PD's have pumps for the injector.... they are built into each injector assembly, hence the loose translation of Pume Duse -- that's why the camshaft wear is so critical. They are driven by the camshaft

Yes, the automatic is better... 5-speed tiptronic or 6-speed DSG on the New Beetle TDI

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back