Craftsman box wrench set initial review -PICS-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there’s a lot of talk on the forum about Craftsman outsourcing some tools to China, but there are still a decent amount of USA made Craftsman tools. As of now, the raised panel wrenches appear to still be USA made.

I’ve been wanting a set of long-pattern metric wrenches for a while. I bought a set of Urrea wrenches last year, but ended up returning them.

Initial impressions

I decided to try the Craftsman box wrenches, as they offer a lot of sizes for a good price, they’re USA made and readily available. I waited for a sale and paid $56 after tax and shipping for set number 4986. The regular price is $59.99.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-11-pc-met...mp;blockType=G1

The set shipped in one day and arrived a few days later. It’s 11 pieces. This set goes from 6mm - 30mm. It skips 20mm, 26mm and 29mm. I had used these several times by the time I'd taken this pic, so there is a little dirt/grease on the wrenches and package.
W1-1000.jpg

These are your basic Craftsman raised panel wrench design, but they’re longer than the normal raised panel combo wrenches.
W2.jpg

W2-1.jpg

W2-2.jpg

The box ends feature the same off-corner engagement used on other Craftsman wrenches. All the teeth in the wrenches are well formed. The sides of the boxes are polished.
W3-1000.jpg

W4.jpg

The finish on all the wrenches appears consistent, with no noticeable flaws that I can see. There is a slight texture difference in the metal underneath the finish. I assume this is because of differences in the dies used for the different sizes. It’s not a flaw or a downside, it’s just something I noticed.
W4-2-1000.jpg

These wrenches are longer than standard raised panel Craftsman wrenches. The difference in length is greater in the smaller sizes, where the box wrenches are considerably longer than the standard Craftsman combo wrenches. In the larger sizes, the box wrenches are only a small amount longer than regular raised panel combos.

Top to bottom:
12mm x 14mm box wrench
12mm RP wrench

13mm RP wrench
13mm x 15mm box wrench
W6-1000.jpg

Top to bottom:
22mm RP wrench
22mm x 24mm box wrench
24mm RP wrench
W5-1000.jpg

Issues with the wrenches

The fit and finish on the wrenches overall appears quite good. I only noticed two wrenches with issues.

The 6mm x 8mm wrench has a slight bend. I’m not sure if I’ll take the time to return it. It doesn’t really bother me too much, but I may return it on my next trip to Sears.
W7-1000.jpg

The forging is rough around the 7mm box. The teeth are properly formed, but the forging around the box is somewhat ugly. I won’t return this wrench, as this is purely a minor cosmetic issue that I wouldn’t even have noticed if I wasn’t studying these wrenches looking for flaws.
W8-1000.jpg

Overall

I think these wrenches are a pretty good deal for the price. I can’t comment on the long-term durability, since they’re brand new. But my initial impressions are positive, especially when you consider the price, at only $63 including tax and shipping.

I’ve used these wrenches several times over the last week or so, and I’m pretty happy with them. The extra length is nice for the jobs I’ve used them for. I replaced the shocks on my truck and replaced the front wheel bearings. I used the wrenches on both these jobs. While taking out the upper ball joint in my truck, the extra length was handy for breaking loose the bolt.
W9-1000.jpg

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Very nice review! Wonder when these become Chinese too!

Well, at this point it's unclear if ALL the tools will become Chinese. I guess there's a chance the outcry will work and Craftsman will keep some USA made tools.

The sockets, raised panel wrenches, most pliers, screwdrivers and others are still USA made.

A member of another forum posted on the Craftsman facebook page and here's the response he received:
Quote:
My family has been using craftsman tools for generations, and they have always been great quality at a reasonable price. However, I am now in the search for a new brand as much of the craftsman line is of foreign manufacture. However, if you guys bring it back to what it used to be, I will be back with my business.
Like · · July 2 at 1:58pm

Craftsman: baby steps. Working on it.
Tuesday at 10:12am · Like · 1

Now, that could mean nothing, or it could mean that perhaps Sears is listening to the complaints. I think some polite emails/facebook posts about the issue may have an impact.

Last edited:
That last (7mm) one that is all crooked and off center I would exchange for sure as it will be weaker...not much meat left at the top there.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
That last (7mm) one that is all crooked and off center I would exchange for sure as it will be weaker...not much meat left at the top there.

You might want to look again. It's not off center and it's not crooked, and there is the same amount of "meat" as the other box ends. The forging is a little ugly, though.

I might return it, but at this point I'm not planning on it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
How much torque do you need to put on a 7mm fastener?

Does not matter...the wrench is made poorly and should be replaced was my point.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

You might want to look again. It's not off center and it's not crooked, and there is the same amount of "meat" as the other box ends. The forging is a little ugly, though.

I might return it, but at this point I'm not planning on it.

Okay - the pic was bad making it look worse than it really is but looking at it again it is as you say.

I think Craftsman has finally got to the point where I won't consider them anymore.

Last edited:

Okay - the pic was bad making it look worse than it really is but looking at it again it is as you say.

I think Craftsman has finally got to the point where I won't consider them anymore.

Well, if you read on tool forums, you'll find posts complaining about the quality control of every brand, including the expensive truck brands.

I guess the good thing is that it will be easy to replace the two wrenches with issues. I'm planning on heading to Sears tomorrow. I'll try to remember to bring those two along and see about getting them replaced.

Other than the two wrenches with problems, they look pretty good to me.

Last edited:

Well, if you read on tool forums, you'll find posts complaining about the quality control of every brand, including the expensive truck brands.

I guess the good thing is that it will be easy to replace the two wrenches with issues. I'm planning on heading to Sears tomorrow. I'll try to remember to bring those two along and see about getting them replaced.

True on both points.

I need to get one of those sets, I had a set issued to me at my last job and I used them alot. Those were my go to wrenches for 19, 17, and 10mm.

That's the good thing about Sears tools, they never questioned me about anything I returned. Most of the tools I had to return were totally abused by me, and quite honestly they should have not taken them back. They always did with a smile though.

Good tools are one of the few honest things left today. I have a bunch of old Craftsman stuff, in part because they don't break if used with care.

I don't think they make 6 pt wrenches without a ratchet. In many places you could not use a 6 pt box end.

I have both SAE and METRIC Craftsman box end wrenches. Even a second set of one that I lost some of the wrenches.

Box end are my preference as for every wrench I get 2 sizes. So I can guess at the size, bring it, and one up and one down and now in 3 wrenches I have 6 sizes. I pretty much know ahead of time if I am going to need a open end. I do have combo wrenches also, but box end are my first choice.

I have a Craftsman 159 piece set which has 6 pt wrenches. It seemed like a great idea at that time. But seriously, every time I had to use them, I was cursing myself for selected that set. The six point box end wrench sounds great on the paper but trust me, you would be better off with a twelve point one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back