supertech oil last 5??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do u guys think supertech oil will hold up for 5k easy in a vehicle i live in TN. I was also wondering if anyone had any shots of under the valve cover with supertech? Thanks

Originally Posted By: dslofti
Do u guys think supertech oil will hold up for 5k easy in a vehicle i live in TN. I was also wondering if anyone had any shots of under the valve cover with supertech? Thanks

what vehicle would help.

5k or 5k miles?

whats the time usually 1 year? 6 monthes..

cant really give an answer to half a question.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's fine for 5k. But for 3 bucks more you can have Pennzoil YB, or for $1.50 more you can have Mobil Super.
I'm not saying it's a bad oil, but for the marginal price difference, I'll take the name brand oil for my car.

Local prices at WM- Super Tech $12.53, Mobil Super $13.97,
Quaker State $14.88, Pennzoil YB $15.47.

Here's a under valve cover shot from my grandma's '99 Camry running Mobil Super 5000 for 3-5k intervals after 3 years of service. Car currently has 185k miles.

2011-05-01_14-20-46_955.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinC25
I'm sure it's fine for 5k. But for 3 bucks more you can have Pennzoil YB, or for $1.50 more you can have Mobil Super.
I'm not saying it's a bad oil, but for the marginal price difference, I'll take the name brand oil for my car.

If you think about it, super tech IS Name Brand Oil. It is made by wpp , one of the largest blenders in the east . It is also sold by the largest retailer in the world. How is that not a name brand?
Is Citco a name brand?
Is Shell a name brand?
Is mobil a name brand?
Just because it doesn't sponsor a nascar race , doesn't mean it is any less an oil than the yellow or green bottle.

Will it last 5k. Depends on the condition of your vehicle. If you have good compression and does not leak oil then maybe. Depends on the mechanical condition of vehicle. As far as quality of Supertech take a look at the pds on their Mag 1 web site. I am using 5w-20 in my 3.0 vulcan and is working well. The price point and the quality of the add pack make it as good as any name brand dino oil.

The Supertech oil is made by Warren Performance Products... Look for Wne or WPP stamped on the bottom of the bottle.

It's a properly formulated oil from the makers of Mag1.

5K miles for conventional or blend should be just fine... their Synthetic can go a bit farther... 7500 would be my comfort zone without testing.

It will last fine for 5K.

Ignore the "few bucks more" crowd. They offer very little info to your actual question but always got to put their two cents in tooting their favorite brand horn.

ST meets spec and will be fine when following your vehicles call out for weight and spec.

I always run ST dino for at least 5K. In fact, I'm waiting on my lab report for 7K. I love all the comments that say for a few dollars more I can get XXXXXX brand oil. In reality, ST oil does the same job for less $$$.

I know a guy that uses it even in built drag trucks and says he never has had a problem due to oil. He said spend ur money on name brands and never notice the difference.

Warren Dist. blends very good oils. I'm yet to see them fail to meet standards.

Although I have no stake in the company, I gladly encourage friends and family to buy their blends without concern. My cars have seen their Motor oil, Gear Oil, and Transmission Fluid... and I have no bad reports of any sort.

If you wonder about a "Generic" oil, flip the bottle over... if it says Wne or Wpp on the bottom, You know where it came from, and it's made to a high standard.

Peak, Advance Auto, Autozone, Federated, SuperTech, Mag1, Accel, and others I can't think of at the moment... are all coming out of their plants. I've yet to see anyone red-flag their stuff. Heck, I have about 70 bottles of Wpp stuff in my garage right now.

Originally Posted By: chad8
Originally Posted By: JustinC25

If you think about it, super tech IS Name Brand Oil. It is made by wpp , one of the largest blenders in the east . It is also sold by the largest retailer in the world. How is that not a name brand?
Is Citco a name brand?
Is Shell a name brand?
Is mobil a name brand?
Just because it doesn't sponsor a nascar race , doesn't mean it is any less an oil than the yellow or green bottle.

Supertech is a private label for Wal-Mart, manufactured by Warren. Therefore it is a generic oil, however it is manufactured by the largest manufacturer of generic oils in the us. Warren's name brands include Coastal, and Mag 1.
I wasn't trying to start a flame war. Just stating that there are other options with a minimal price difference. And for the record, I don't care who sponsers NASCAR. I just use PYB because it's an excellent oil, at a fair price, as indicated by UOA's, and VOA's. But, from what I recall Supertech's TBN level was called into question in some previous VOA's, and UOA's.
Again, I'm NOT saying that it is bad oil. I'm just saying that there are other options for similar money.

I don't know about 5k "easy" with the Supertech.
But 5k sure seems do-able!
What I mean is I don't expect this dino or any dino to be expected to go more than 5k [even though it can work out that way].

5K probably, just don't do 15K.
Several years ago, I bought '99 Suzuki Swift that had about 100K miles. (A Geo Metro clone) I was very reluctant because the service records showed the oil changed at WM every 15K miles with SuperTech oil and Supertech filters. Still, I didn't see any sludge in the oil fill cap. The price was right and I rolled the dice. After about two oil changes, the oil pump pickup was plugged and I was losing oil pressure. I dropped the oil and added MMO to the oil after that and started checking the oil filters. There was a lot of sludge and carbon in the oil filters that I cut open. A couple of 3K oil changes with MMO has helped, as now I have good oil pressure and it's a reliable car.
FYI, I'm not a believer in oil additives...unless they are needed.

Sure it can.
There are better oils for around the same money, though.
If all you want is 5K, and you're willing to troll the bottom of the lake, either FAR G-Oil (there'll be more to come) or FAR Valvoline Nextgen would be less expensive, and either is at least the equal of ST.
Both have shown very clean UOAs, but then ST has too.
If your goal is to save money, the Rebates, Sales and Promotions forum is your friend.
If you're looking for a good oil, ST is certainly decent, but not that cheap for what it is.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If your goal is to save money, the Rebates, Sales and Promotions forum is your friend.
If you're looking for a good oil, ST is certainly decent, but not that cheap for what it is.

I disagree. MIR's I will not participate in any more. Having my surname misspelled into a alternate very less common name is not worth the hassle to get this rectified by a third party for a few bucks. Also other conventional's look sexier but in real world performance Supertech is very comparable. If you want a better deal on name brand conventional try looking at your local COSTCO or SAM's because often their prices equal to 2.XX a quart.

[/quote]
Supertech is a private label for Wal-Mart, manufactured by Warren. Therefore it is a generic oil, however it is manufactured by the largest manufacturer of generic oils in the us. Warren's name brands include Coastal, and Mag 1.
I wasn't trying to start a flame war. Just stating that there are other options with a minimal price difference. And for the record, I don't care who sponsers NASCAR. I just use PYB because it's an excellent oil, at a fair price, as indicated by UOA's, and VOA's. But, from what I recall Supertech's TBN level was called into question in some previous VOA's, and UOA's.
Again, I'm NOT saying that it is bad oil. I'm just saying that there are other options for similar money.
[/quote

Warren Performance Packaging(WPP/WNE)does not make the Coastal brand.Coastal is made/owned by Warren-Unilube/Warren Oil.

WPP/WNE and Warren-Unilube/Warren Oil are not the same company and are not linked in any way.

ST is made by WPP/WNE.WPP also has their own brands,Mag1,Accel and Polar.

WPP

Warren Oil-Unilube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back