2012 G37 Sedan - lifetime fill, no dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents just got a new 2012 Infiniti G37 Sedan. The factory service manual (well, the 2010 FSM which is the newest I can find) states that the fluid is lifetime fill. There is no dipstick. I found a TSB specifying that to check the fluid, an overflow plug must be removed and a steady stream of fluid must looked for to verify fluid level, and replaced with a new plug after it is removed. An "essential service tool" is used at another plug on the other side of the transmission pan to refill. Anyway, I digress.

The transmission takes Nissan Matic-S fluid and the FSM claims lifetime fill. Since there is no dipstick and I don't have the proper tool, I would be unable to perform a cooler line fluid exchange. Should I just let it be, or have the dealer perform a fluid exchange at 30k miles or thereabouts to evacuate all the break-in wear and manufacturing crud? I will not be installing a Magnefine due to warranty concerns; perhaps after warranty is gone on both the transmission and power steering return lines.

As for the rear differential and power steering fluid, I plan to change the differential fluid at 15k with Amsoil SVG 75W-90, and then every 50k thereafter. Or would changes at 30k intervals be a wiser choice? I will siphon & fill the power steering fluid every oil change (3,750 miles) up through 15k miles to help evacuate break-in wear. I'll probably use Amsoil ATL since the FSM suggests Nissan PSF or Dexron VI as a replacement. Brake fluid flush will be performed every 2 years, and coolant flush will be done at the dealer at specified intervals.

What does the manual say for the other non-lifetime fluids? It all depends upon your use profile - for some 30k may be a lot of years and others 15k is half a year.

36k would be the minimum I'd do, but consider longer if youre all highway and lots of miles a year.

Interesting that Dex VI is the recommended PSF.

If they're going to keep the car a long time, have the fluid changed.

I would just do 30k instead of 50. Fluid is cheap enough and I suspect it's only about an hour of your time.

Worst thing that happens is you change it too early. :)

Infiniti has a level of service in the owner's manual above the severe service, called premiere service or premium service or some such thing. That does include them doing the transmission fluid exchange.

Don't worry, the manufacturer won't eat away at the dealers' ability to make some bucks.
wink.gif

I've been doing the PSF change with Dexron-VI, too, using the siphon and fill method. I believe they allow Matic S for PSF as well, but that's far more expensive than Dexron-VI, and definitely not readily available in a sensible sized container.

Dont you just love how they dont want you to work on your own vehicles nowadays to line the pockets of the dealership service department? Next they wont supply a hood,so you cant get to anything,at all.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Next they wont supply a hood,so you cant get to anything,at all.

11.gif

For most, it wouldn't matter. For me, it would mean losing a sale if I couldn't work on the car easily myself.

Last edited:
I am quoting the severe service intervals. "Automatic transmission fluid" has a note even under the severe service schedule: "Automatic transmission fluid is maintenance-free." I also looked at the service guide, and even under the "optional premium upgrade" service, the automatic transmission fluid states it is maintenance free for 7-speed transmissions.

There is no listed change interval for the differential fluid in the FSM, just inspect and change if necessary every 15k miles. Perhaps I could simply use the cheaper Mobil 1 75W-90 fluid and change it out every 15k miles instead.

Valvoline Dexron-VI is synthetic, correct? I recall it being sold at WalMart. Aren't all Dex-VIs syn? Amsoil is probably not necessary for a power steering system.

Brake fluid is specified to be replaced at 15k intervals. This is listed in the service guide, but not the FSM. I've never seen a Nissan/Infiniti vehicle have a recommended interval for brake fluid changes - interesting!

The premium service upgrade states that the radiator cap and engine drive belts are replaced at 30k services. This seems excessively frequent to me, no doubt in an attempt to charge more.

At this point in time I doubt there's a single transmission fluid spec from the major manufacturers that can possibly last the lifetime of the vehicle. That'd be like GM saying 15,000 mile OCIs are fine on the DI engines.

I'd certainly have it changed at 30,000 miles and every 50,000 thereafter.

Not all Dexron VIs are synthetics, I don't think. Castrol markets a Dexron VI product that is a synthetic blend, and it is only slightly more expensive than the Advance Auto Parts house-brand Dexron VI, leading me to believe that Dexron VI must be at the least a synthetic blend.

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
There is no listed change interval for the differential fluid in the FSM, just inspect and change if necessary every 15k miles. Perhaps I could simply use the cheaper Mobil 1 75W-90 fluid and change it out every 15k miles instead.

That seems excessive, even down here in the swamp. If they are in FL, I'd run a 75W-140 synthetic.

If you're going to change it every 15k, run cheap conventional 85W-140 conventional.

A lot of them have no dip Trannys now. Toyota:
"100,000 Maintenance Interval — Inspection only; ATF-WS does NOT require any flushing or changing during the life of the vehicle" But..because the fluids are very advanced, I still do it, but not till 50k+ Only 1.5 qts comes out on a drain.

Some have a drain, a fill, and an overflow plug. Once you get familiar with yours its not so bad. Fill till it spills, no more checking the stick hot in park, etc.

Suppose the only thing to do till them is check for leaks. I never had a transmission "burn oil", so I dont think there's any fear of running dry other than if you see a leak.

We are in FL, yes. The FSM specifies 75W-90 synthetic only, so I will not run anything thicker. I will probably use Mobil 1 75W-90 rather than Amsoil and change at 15k to evacuate the break-in wear then change every 30k from then on. The diff only has a 1.5qt capacity. I am sure M1 will be quite satisfactory.

I also looked at the service guide, and even under the "optional premium upgrade" service, the automatic transmission fluid states it is maintenance free for 7-speed transmissions.

Does the FSM list a procedure? I bet the dealer could do it.

Perhaps I could simply use the cheaper Mobil 1 75W-90 fluid and change it out every 15k miles instead.

I think every 15,000 miles with M1 75w-90 might be a little excessive.

Aren't all Dex-VIs syn? Amsoil is probably not necessary for a power steering system.

The Mobil Super Dexron-VI ATF I'm using is a blend.

The FSM lists a rather convoluted procedure, but it basically mimics the TSB procedure I mentioned earlier. The fluid exchange procedure is basically three drain & fills.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Unless you feel like invalidating the warranty, have the dealer do the fluid flush.

This is exactly what I had planned. I couldn't even obtain the necessary tools to do a drain & fill.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
It is lifetime, when the transmission takes a dump @ 120K, it basically lasted for the life of the transmission.

ummmm, I have not really heard anything bad about Nissan transmissions yet. Certainly not bad like the dreaded Honda/Ford autos for sure. The two used nissans my family owned both had trans last 200k+ with no history of fluid exchange or trans service. So maybe it is built to last ??

Not arguing that it shouldnt be flushed, rather that just because they dont recommend a service , it doesnt necessarily mean things will go kaboom shortly thereafter lol.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
It is lifetime, when the transmission takes a dump @ 120K, it basically lasted for the life of the transmission.

ummmm, I have not really heard anything bad about Nissan transmissions yet. Certainly not bad like the dreaded Honda/Ford autos for sure. The two used nissans my family owned both had trans last 200k+ with no history of fluid exchange or trans service. So maybe it is built to last ??

Not arguing that it shouldnt be flushed, rather that just because they dont recommend a service , it doesnt necessarily mean things will go kaboom shortly thereafter lol.

It was really a comment on "maintenance free" not Nissan's transmissions. I"ve had transmissions last without fluid changes but it they were Ford C6 and TH350s that could be replaced for $800. With an 5,6,7,8 speed autos now showing up and replacements costs probably extremely high, I'd defer to what might appear as "not necessary" in the mfg's eyes.

My !echo! is approaching 300K (manual) not sure "lifetime" as 300,400,500K is what Nissan is thinking.

Waste of money with little benefit. Todays manufacturing processes take place in a cleaner environment. Theses systems are complex and operate within tight tolerances therefore the manufacture wants to limit the instances where foreign matter could get into the unit. Besides ATs with/without flushes can fail at almost any interval over 50k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back