Liqui Moly Synthoil High Tech 5/40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got some good results back from my UOA with this oil and if any if any LM fans are interested in the virgin oil analysis that Blackstones did for free, here is a summary:
Boron: 71
Silicon: 3
Calcium: 2586
Magnesium: 5
Phosphorus: 899
Zinc: 984
Sus @210: 73.9
sSt@100: 13.97
Flashpoint: 425F
Initial TBN (From forum post, not confirmed): 9.7
It seems to contain quite high levels of Boron and Calcium based additives. The TBN of my 10,000 km UOA held up well at 4.7.
Although the company might be called Liqui Moly this oil does not contain any Molybdenum.

Initial TBN is 9.6 actually, confirmed by the R&D Manager at Liqui-Moly.

The results look pretty good, the viscosity at 100 C is slightly lower at 13.97 compared to 14.2 but it still looks pretty good.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: WrxRcr
Liquid moly my butt, I call false advertising.

Sounds like he wants a dark grey butt!
Liqui Moly do make less expensive oils with traditional Moly compounds in them, but they seem to prefer Zinc and Phosphorus compounds for anti wear additives.
I am going to use LM Diesel Synthoil 5/40 over the winter to see if I get similar results to the High Tech 5/40, the Diesel Synthoil is almost the same oil but with an additives package designed only for diesels and I will write to them to see if it has some Moly in it out of interest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WrxRcr
Liquid moly my butt, I call false advertising.

Just because their name is Liqui-Moly does not mean their oil has to contain molybdenum. The company was named after their Liquid Molybdenum (Mos2) additive, which happened to be their first product.

thanks!! looking to try the 5-40 synthoil premium shown on amazon. when new in 13 her 2.5L was sucking the spec 5-20, a switch to 10-30 platinum or Mobil I cured that for a while but now at only 55 thou its getting worse figured i'd try something different short of high priced real synthetics. i too thought here would be decent moly but happy to see good ZDDP, no issues with LSPI with the naturally aspirated DI 2.5 in her car. she drives conservatively but lots of short trips prolly considered severe service, time will tell!!

an update, 2500 miles + no consumption, where the 5-20 when new was bad, 10-30 was better + this 5-40 is best. looking at specs on liquimoly site for their HiTech 5-40 shows a noack of 7 !! if thats the same oil we get in usa. dont show the synthoil premium i used. prolly stick with a 5-40 + was looking at Mag I as well, time or actually miles + future consumption will tell. also looking into super-tech euro 5-40 synthetic but not even listed on wally.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back