Disappointing Oil Analysis Results (Particle Count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either the Fram XG Extended Guard 3614 and NAPA Platinum 41348 filters are extraordinary oil filters, or Polaris Laboratories screwed up the particle count analysis on three samples. Here's the basic information:

- Sample 1: Toyota 0W-20 after 9837 miles. ISO Cleanliness 17/16/14, with 698 particles 4u>10U

- Sample 2: Virgin Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20. ISO Cleanliness 21/17/13, with 15634 particles 4u > 10u

- Sample 3: Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 from the same 5 qt bottle as Sample 2, but after the vehicle had been run 10 miles to circulate the oil and mix with the remaining oil that was left in the oil passages after draining the oil. ISO Cleanliness 17/16/14 with 738 particles 4u>10u.

If these analyses are correct, which I doubt, the NAPA Platinum filter removed 98.8% of the particles which were less than 10u in diameter and 99.5% of the particles which were less than 14u in diameter. Frankly, I cannot believe these results.

Can anyone explain this???

That's what I was thinking. I've asked them to rerun the particle counts.

This is not the first time I've had problems with Polaris. One of the virgin oil samples I sent in came back with wear metals similar to a 3000 mile sample. I'm starting to think their quality control is sloppy.

Is there a difference in the ISO code for Virgin oil and Used oil?

Where is Jim Allen when you need him...
grin2.gif

Well clearly they are extrodinary filters and it just cleaned up that virgin oil in the 10 mile run!!!
grin2.gif

I agree that they probably just mixed up the samples but it sure makes you wonder about the rest of their practices if they can't keep samples straight.

Man that sucks, no clue what to believe. Some of these UOA reports leave a lot to the imagination, even what appears to be a good UOA could be wrong.
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Man that sucks, no clue what to believe. Some of these UOA reports leave a lot to the imagination, even what appears to be a good UOA could be wrong.
confused.gif

Agree. I must admit when I first saw that I thought BLACKSTONE particle count.

First of all, contact the lab. Find out the method. I have very little (NO?) faith in low cost particle counts. So as screwy as the results look, it's not necessarily a sample mix up. Ask a mess of questions and have them repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back