Chain case oil for a Harley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are people using with good results? Synthetic or Harley Formula + (Dino) I just recently purchased a new 2012 Dyna, flipped 1k miles and going to switch out the fluids.

Originally Posted By: Klotz1
What are people using with good results? Synthetic or Harley Formula + (Dino) I just recently purchased a new 2012 Dyna, flipped 1k miles and going to switch out the fluids.

HA-HA ! No, really?

I picked up a 2012 Dyna on 6/24.

OK, what you have in the primary chain case is a set of double-row gears, a double-row chain, and a clutch pack. This is not a candidate for high-tech lubrication.

Most anything that works for a wet clutch will work here. But NEVER use gear oil in the primary chain case.

I use Rotella or Delvac 15W-40. The Delvac seems to provide for smoother shifts, but your Dyna will shift well on most anything.

The Harley Formula+ is nothing more than (approx) 45 grade mineral oil with virtually no additives. This is not unusual. Most automotive manual transmission lubes are similar, except that they are thinner.

Seriously, dump a quart of 15W-40 Rotella or Delvac in there. Maybe Sunruh will chime in here and tell us what other diesel oil works well for this.
20120623_145501-1.jpg

Last edited:
BTW: There are a hundred different choices.... check out www.v-twinforum.com and see.

No one has reported any problems - using just about anything.

I like the Mobil 1 75W-90 LS for the transmission and some like the Amsoil 75W-110 but the truth is that you could use just about any 20W-50 motor oil in there. Put in some Amsoil MCV 20W-50 or Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 and you're good to go.

The regular Harley dino oil is decent for what it is but I think that their Syn3 synthetic doesn't really measure up to the offerings from Mobil and Amsoil.

Thanks for the tip and Nice Bike!!..I bought A black Dyna Switchback!

I can never figure out how to attach a picture?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Klotz1
Thanks for the tip and Nice Bike!!..I bought A black Dyna Switchback!

Oooohhh NOW I REALLY hate you !

grin.gif

Last edited:
I agree that any 20-50 or 15-40 should work, I have ALOT of people tell me that nothing works better than Amsoil 20-50 motorcycle oil - these are some pretty hard-core Harley riders...

For the Primary Chaincase in my 2012 FLHX StreetGlide I use Spectro Chaincase oil, for the 6-speed tranny I use Spectro HD 6-Speed transmission fluid 75w-140 which was designed exclusively for the Harley 6-speed transmission! Its a group 5 Synthetic & is $20.00 a quart but well worth it! For the motor I use Spectro Platinum Synthetic 20W-50! You cannot go wrong with this trio!

Congrats! Beautiful scoot. I'm kind of surprised that you bought a new bike since you are such a trader. This one must be a KEEPER..

Originally Posted By: hal2626
Congrats! Beautiful scoot. I'm kind of surprised that you bought a new bike since you are such a trader. This one must be a KEEPER..

Sometimes, it's nice to have something brand-new, with a two-year warranty. Plus, $2,000 off the MSRP and no freight/setup and no doc fees and 20% off accessories.

We have a varied collection - everything from a GL1800 Gold Wing to this Dyna. We like them all.

smile.gif

Let me just make a comment here. Have seen more than a few HDs with 100,00+ miles on them - running the conventional HD 360 20W-50 motor oil and the Formula "+" in the primary and in the transmission.

I understand that some of the boutique oils may indeed be "better", but in many cases I think it's rather like swatting flies with a sledge-hammer.

Now.... if you're crazy, then using the very best lubrication available... may be for you.

Me? I just ride PAST the drag strip.

grin.gif

You can mess around with no end of different oils in the motor, tranny & primary but the manufacture specs a 20-50 weight oil and my view is that a synthetic 20-50 motorcycle oil is probably the best way to go in all 3 holes. It keeps things simple and you only have to carry one type/weight of oil.

These newer bikes, I have an 08 run very lean and hot so that's why I go with the syn product.

Go take apart that tranny in 50K and see how it looks after running that 20w-50 oil in it. I don't think you will like that one oil 'convenience' as much.

My Harleys get Mobil 1 15w50 in the motor,Redline Shockproof Heavy in the trans and HDEO 15w50 in the primary. I change the motor oil at under 2K miles and filter every other time.

Last edited:
All Redline Synthetic in my Harley 103 RKC

Redline 20W-50 Motor

Redline Primary Oil

Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.

My bike likes all three!

It's interesting that all the CVO bikes come with Sync 3 in all 3 holes, but HD recommends the Formula + for the primary & tranny in the 6 speeds.

The formula + is a semi synthetic and appears to work fine. There is nothing out of the ordinary in either the primary or tranny that requires anything other than what HD recommends, formula +. That being said the syn would probably be a good idea in the tranny but with clutches it pays to stick with what the manufacture recommends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back