Removing adhesive from windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

A bit of an interesting topic here... I have an EZpass, and when I changed cars, I stupidly tried to use regular velcro on my windshield. Worked great! Then the heat came, and bam, falling off all the time. I realized I need a stronger adhesive.

Needless to say, now that I have the proper mounts, I have this gooey adhesive that neither alcohol or the glass cleaner I have will remove. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this [censored] off my windshield before I put the new adhesive mounts on?

Thanks,
smc

Goo Gone or Goof Off should do it.

Alternatively, WD40 would also take it off, but I'm not sure how safe it is on glass. Should be fine though.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Goo Gone or Goof Off should do it.

Alternatively, WD40 would also take it off, but I'm not sure how safe it is on glass. Should be fine though.

I checked Goo Gone on Amazon, read some great things. I ordered that and my strips and cleaner will be here Thursday! I have a long trip from Boston to NJ (then back) next weekend, and it will be much easier not having to hold the EZpass to the window every time I go through a toll.

Thanks again!

Razor blade to remove the gist of it followed by Goo Gone to clean off the leftover sticky stuff. Works every time for me while i detail cars.

GooGone woks well, so does mineral spirits (common paint oil paint thinner). Paint thinner works well for pine sap as well, and won't hurt modern water based clear coat. Flush it with water after, just in case.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Razor blade to remove the gist of it followed by Goo Gone to clean off the leftover sticky stuff. Works every time for me while i detail cars.

Perfect, I'll try that. Should I be careful of scratching the windshield? Also, this is on the inside of the windshield.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
GooGone woks well, so does mineral spirits (common paint oil paint thinner). Paint thinner works well for pine sap as well, and won't hurt modern water based clear coat. Flush it with water after, just in case.

+1 - a little lighter fluid (naphtha) will also remove it with no residual issues. I have used this and followed with a paper towel wet with Windex and it has removed all of the goo from the glass. I have done this to remove the goo after removing the dealer "advertisements" sticker/logo from the rear of a new car and it has not damaged the paint in anyway.

Originally Posted By: smc733
Perfect, I'll try that. Should I be careful of scratching the windshield? Also, this is on the inside of the windshield.

I've never had a problem with a razor blade scratching the windshield. Obviously hold it parallel with the glass. No worries.

A big +1 on the suggestions for removal, BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back