Looks like I won't need ATF+4 anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ZF 8-speed in this 2012 300 I picked up today uses Shell L12108 ATF. Bet I won't be able to get that down at Wal-Mart.
thumbsup2.gif

my300-12-1.jpg

my300-2.jpg

Beautiful car. Im a huge fan of the 300s, very old school meets new school american luxury sedan.

Shell L12108 ATF? The [censored] is that?

So will using ATF+4 now cause problems just like using Dex did? Lol.

Those were always nice looking cars but are the transmissions any better these days?
Chrysler is known for the worst transmissions, period!
Good luck with your new car.

congrats on your new wheels! I too really like the looks of the 300.

so what the heck is shell L12108???

or whats different about the ZF 8speed not to spec atf+4?

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
congrats on your new wheels! I too really like the looks of the 300.

so what the heck is shell L12108???

or whats different about the ZF 8speed not to spec atf+4?

From what I've read they needed a low-viscosity transmission fluid that cuts spin losses and increase efficiency.

I had one of these as a rental for a recent business trip, what a sweet ride! I got 31 MPG on the highway, it was quiet and drove great. Loved the huge touchscreen in the dash. Very nice car.

Quote:
Those were always nice looking cars but are the transmissions any better these days?

It's a ZF sourced transmission, probably way better than the in-house built stuff.

Enjoy the car! That same trans also goes behind the V12 engine in the BMW 760L. Post back on how the trans work. Can't imagine having 5 "underdrive" gears and 2 overdrive gears.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

Never had any problems with the tranny in my 99 300M. My 2007 had the Mercedes 5-speed and no problems. The 8-speed in the 2012 is a ZF unit and the same tranny Bentley uses in the Mulsanne and Rolls uses in the Ghost. I think it will be okay.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I had one of these as a rental for a recent business trip, what a sweet ride! I got 31 MPG on the highway, it was quiet and drove great. Loved the huge touchscreen in the dash. Very nice car.

So far it's averaging 26 mpg in around town driving on E-85.

Nice car! But wait...something seems to be missing. Hmm, let me see... *opens hood*

Ah, I thought so...yer short two cylinders, dude!
laugh.gif

Well, looks like he can go back to the dealer and get another one with the 2 missing cylinders in it, Saw that poor G-MAN only got to enjoy his new ride for a day thanks to some over aggressive large hail...
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Nice car! But wait...something seems to be missing. Hmm, let me see... *opens hood*

Ah, I thought so...yer short two cylinders, dude!
laugh.gif

Likewise.

At least the new Pentastar has some decent output.

30 mpg and only half a second slower to 60 than a 5.7. Not bad!

Chrysler would be wise to never use one of their own transmission designs again and just buy them from firms known to make great units like ZF. Even put it on the TV ads: "Sorry transmission shops, we started outsourcing all our transmissions!" I'd laugh.

26mpg city on E-85 is dang good! Nice car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back