GM OLM - 2004 Venture - What to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my reading here it seems the GM OLM is pretty accurate. I've never used it, always having done OCI's by miles before but I'm going to give it a shot and do an OCI with OLM and let it go all the way. We do mixed city/highway driving (a lot of our "city" driving is highway) the van gets an average of 350 miles use per week, occasionally much more.

Any idea about how long the OLM will take me? I ask because I was planning to run a PureOne filter but if it's going to run 9-10k or more I'm thinking about putting a synthetic longer use filter on it instead.

Fill will be Rotella T-5 which will be fine for the beastly hot months ahead.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Not sure about the GM OLMs, but my mom's 2011 Honda Fit has an OLM that seems to work pretty well. It determines the oil life based on driving habits. The last change I did with 10% oil life left and the oil had about 8k miles on it. The mileage on the oil when changed goes up or down depending on the amount of highway vs. city mileage she drives.

I've used PureOnes for 10k mile OCIs on my sister's Civic, but if it makes you feel better then just use the longer use filter, and see how far the OLM takes you. I'm sure the T5 will work well in the Venture.

I have a 2004 Pontiac Montana, which is essentially the same van. We usually get between 7200-7700 miles on the OLM, depending upon whatever variables it considers.

If your car fill cap doesn't say; "Mobil 1", it is calibrated for "Conventional" oil. Our Chevy 2.2 Ecotec's in the family were spec'ed for, "Conventional" oil. I use Full synthetic (Kendall GT1) and I know I have a good margin of safety.

The Caddy calls for, "Mobil 1" so I know it is calibrated for Synthetic so I change at 20% or more.

I have found that for the most part, The Ecotec's in mixed driving (25% Local, 75% Highway) seem to need changing at ~7,500. in local, stop and go or many short trips it has called for a change at ~5,000 miles. Since they are calibrated for conventional and I use Full Synthetic, I feel safe going to 10 or less% on them.

My Ford is calibrated for 5,000 miles or 6 months and it is really right on accurate. It just called for a change at 6 months despite only 1,500 miles on the oil.

You need to see if the manual specifies time / mileage, for example, 6 months or 5,000 miles (As in the Ford and earlier OLM's) or change according to the OLM or at least once a year as my GM's do. That'll give you an idea of how they calculate. I prefer the GM OLM myself.

Just keep in mind that you need to check your oil level as that is not checked by most OLM's.
Enjoy the new (To you) ride.

Last edited:
We've had it about 2 1/2 years but I've never used the OLM. It does use about a half quart in 5k, but like a typical BITOG'er I check it constantly hah hah.

Sounds like it'll run about a 7k-ish OCI then, so I believe the Pureone will be fine then.

Thanks!

I had a 2005 Impala. I ran 75 miles one way every day, all highway driving. I went by the OLM and it would go off around 10k miles.

My Camaro's OLM has ranged between 4500 and 7500 miles in the 10 years I've owned it. All street driving gives 7500 miles. Track driving shortens it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back