beautiful mondia bike on ebay!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know nothing about bikes; is this a collector bike or is it really that good still? That price seems steep for 30-40 yo technology, no matter how good it was back then.

Just like anything else that's aged,most you obviously can't compare to today's things.But wouldn't you rather have, like a 454 Super Sport Chevelle 4-spd instead of some of today's smogger cars?

I was into bikes during that era. Though I don't recognize the brand name of the bicycle, I do remember that Campagnolo equipment was top of line. There was no better. Reynolds 531 tubing was also tops for frames.

This is a top of the line bicycle from its era. Like dave's analogy, it's like buying a Chevelle 454 (or Cutlass 442 in my lingo) in excellent condition, even though many of today's cars can easily outperform the old muscle cars.

I'm guessing that bicycle originally sold for at least $400.

Of course it's a collector bike!

I wonder which of the many grades of 531 this is made out of?

The Nuovo record gruppo looks to be in PERFECT shape (I had the same gruppo on my 531 SL chromed Falcon in '72), BUT, it should have the brakes as well (unless this one came stock/was specced with the Mafacs), and the period gum rubber Campy hoods (unless they just cannot be had /found anymore?).

High flange hubs on a road bike is VERY old school cool!
cool.gif

Thank you dave66nova. That is beautiful. I love steel lugged frames!

There was quite a 10 speed craze in the early 70's. Just about every teen had to have one.

I too, was into biking during my high school days. Clubs, 100 mile Century runs....I even tried a bit of racing, but simply could not compete at any half serious level, despite extensive training. I would do a 100 miler on a weekend morning and still go to work in the evening.

I rode a Gitane with sew up tires. I miss it. I now poke around on a resurrected '80's Giant steel frame, fixed up a little bit with Rivendell influence (Brooks saddle, Nitto bar with shelac'ed cloth tape!)

Back then, an all chrome Schwinn Paramount was a U.S. made Cadillac of bikes and was quite the status symbol, even though many European makes were better.
paramount.jpg

^^^Pretty much the whole Somerset Wheelmen racing team, lead by multi-time national champ Joe Saling, and based out of Somerville, N.J. was on chrome (or red painted) N.R. gruppo equipped Paramounts during the late '60s-mid'70s!

I've had a FULL Campy Mondia since 1986 or so.i screwed up back then,because i sanded it all down and had it powdercoated black.I don't remember if i removed the badge or not.

How long ago did Campy stop making the gum rubber hoods??

It seems ALL of these vintage bikes have the latter white hoods.

I guess even whatever N.O.S. was left of these is LONG gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back