JASO-FC; my two stroke confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I don't know much about two stroke oil specs, just been reading around; I am posting on behalf of the son of a friend of mine. Specs seem to be VW squared.

He has a Eton Beamer scooter that takes JASO-FC grade oil; I had to point that to him and indicated "outboard motor oil" isn't what he should be using. This seems to be a giant hurdle because maybe young people always seem to know more than the designers of the motor...

Problem is, I get blank stares when I try to find this oil; the scooter store sells Spectro Platinum fully synth (JASO-FD) but they seem to run out on a regular basis. Last trip they convinced him to buy Bel Ray oil (JASO-FB) The store parts guy said it would be ok to use; I suspect this was a "to make a sale" type of "ok to use"; Will there be any issues using this oil for 1 fill?

Curious what other types of equipment take this oil, could I find it @ a OPE store, like an echo string trimmer place?

I'm almost ready just to order 6 qts of Amsoil Interceptor and be done with it;

Any input appreciated.

very good for you! and looking out for your friend's son. correct, outboard oil is designed for a water cooled engine (usually designated WC3)

the jaso-fb wont hurt it periodically. and certainly Echo's oil is very good (its a partial synthetic) but of course I like your idea of getting a few quarts of amsoil!

JASO FC tends to be rather difficult to come by in my area ( have some 2-cyl engines that would require a clean burning oil with great anti-scuff/high temp stability. I resort to using Castrol Evo right now which is JASO FB certified. It's also been brought to my awareness that Mobil 2-T full syn oil is a good one too.

Last resort: go to HOme Depot or similar and look for Echo semi-syn 2-T oil mix for trimmers and that one suppose to burn very clean with excellent anti-scuff protection (this is mainly due to thermal beakdown of the 2-T lube due to excessive sustained heat on the engine during heavy load).

Stay away from ashless outboard motor oil (even though it sounds attractive with the word:" ashless detergent or similar" for these 2-T oils are designed specifically for low temp, sustained lower rpm (or sometimes water-cooled 2-T applications) use only and may not have the kind of high temp/high RPM sustained protection for the application.

Q.

Thanks for the input guys. Considering the cost of the Spectro @ the scooter dealer and the useless driving around, turns out the Dominator is less $$ even with shipping. Queued up 6 in my shopping cart....

Originally Posted By: dave123
+1 for interceptor Dominator is for all out race app.

Not necessarily. It's fine for a hot weather, small engine bike or whatever. I run it all the time. I even throw in a little castor oil for the smell. The only drawback of Dominator it's not the best storage oil. No rust preventative.

Quote:
I even throw in a little castor oil for the smell.

20.gif

I love the smell of burning race gas & castor in the morning!

Ok, he has been running the Dominator and he is on the second quart. No smoke whatsoever and I keep pointing that out to him (as opposed to the OB Motor oil which smoked like a chimney.)

When winter rolls around, what would be the proper method for storing this. Chances are, it will be stored in the living room.... Should I fog the CC? and put in some gas stabilizer?

CT gas has 10% ethanol.

On a side note, he freaked out and put in STP injector cleaner which according to the bottle "made from Jet fuel", certainly smelled like K1 to me, into the gas tank. I told him to stop putting all sorts of stuff into the scooter and stick to gas and oil....

You can fog it if you like, but inside storage is not really a big deal. Maybe just run a tank or two of Saber or any good power equipment oil through it before storage if you are worried or store in a condensing environment.

I stored my bike in the garage through this last nasty winter with Dominator (I seem to push the limits!) and the engine is just fine.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
very good for you! and looking out for your friend's son. correct, outboard oil is designed for a water cooled engine (usually designated WC3)

the jaso-fb wont hurt it periodically. and certainly Echo's oil is very good (its a partial synthetic) but of course I like your idea of getting a few quarts of amsoil!

I bought some Blue Marble oil online, and I like it. It's rated TCW-3, and JASO FD. It's good stuff
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Gillsy
I bought some Blue Marble oil online, and I like it. It's rated TCW-3, and JASO FD. It's good stuff
smile.gif

From the site it doesn't seem to make sense RE: being ashless and still certified for JASO-FD, for my conventional wisdom RE: non water-cooled 2-cyl enignes (on land, scooters, gas trimmers, etc.) must be low-ash (must come with metallis "ash" for cleaning properties)in order to maintain the cleaning properties and keep the exhaust port as clean (little carbon deposits) as possible.

Well, someone will have to try it for a few thousands of ks on this new blue marble oil and report back?

Q.

http://www.bluemarbleoil.com/Products/2Cycle.htm

I've done some background checks on BlueMarble oil maker (Envirofuels LLC, in Houston, Tx)and through DnB credibility checks, and I don't have too much faith on this company to begin with...

My alarm already sounded off..

So, someone will have to run the test for us to prove otherwise, I'd stay away from using them BlueMarble oil and would rather insist in using national oil brands that are low-ash JASO-FB/FC/FD approved for land-use, air-cooled 2-T motors for now.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
I've done some background checks on BlueMarble oil maker (Envirofuels LLC, in Houston, Tx)and through DnB credibility checks, and I don't have too much faith on this company to begin with...

My alarm already sounded off..

So, someone will have to run the test for us to prove otherwise, I'd stay away from using them BlueMarble oil and would rather insist in using national oil brands that are low-ash JASO-FB/FC/FD approved for land-use, air-cooled 2-T motors for now.

Q.

I have seen a couple of ashless oils that meet JASO FD, Mystik Ultimate and Klotz Snowmobile Techniplate, so apparently it can be done. The JASO FD standard is based on a series of tests for performance, so in theory a super-engineered ashless could pass.

On the other side, it's probably cheaper to use the additives that create ash to meet the performance required of the test. Not saying that those are bad or lower performing oils, just that they probably get there by a different method. You can buy Mystik Sea & Snow (FD certified) by the GALLON on their website for cheap (relatively).

With regards to Blue Marble, I have never used it but have heard the typical "buddy of mine knows a guy who know a guy" stories,some good and some bad. Seems to be oddly popular with ultralight guys.
Almost all OPE house brands are JASO FD certified these days (Stihl, Husqvarna, ECHO, etc.) and available at Big Box stores and small hardware stores everywhere.

The JASO puts a maximum limit on ash content of 2-cycle oils but it has no minimum limit. JASO FC (and FB) allows .25% maximum by weight while the JASO FD allows .18% maximum by weight. There is no requirement for a oil to contain ash or to be ashless per the specifications.

Kawasaki's own 2-cycle racing oil is ashless and specified for either liquid cooled or air cooled engines. It carries no JASO or ISO compliance statement though.

So long as a oil passes the performance requirements of the JASO M340, M341, M342, and M343 then it can be certified.

M340 is a lubricity test.
M341 is a detergency test.
M342 is a smoke test.
M343 is a exhaust port blockage test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back