Engine temp reached 260* is oil bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put $30 worth of 5w30 M1 Syn High Mileage in, less than a week later I lost all the fluid in my cooling system on the road from a bad hose. Engine got up to about 260*F. Can the oil handle these temps, or is it in need of changing again. I can't smell a difference on the dipstick, but then again my whole engine bay smells like coolant. Is the oil ok to withstand those temps or have the chemical properties been modified and I should change it again?

What engine, how big a sump, etc?

Id say yes, my BMW routinely gets to 250F oil temp, and just because the water got to 260 doesn't mean the oil does.

I would think that the engine would seize before it could cook the oil. And render it unfit for use.

not sure if it was oil temp or what, I know it was engine temp since the motor was running without any coolant for a minute or two. luckily I caught it in time and no seizure it seems to be fine still. Iron block GM 3.8L. glad it wasn't aluminum.

Originally Posted By: 00firebird
not sure if it was oil temp or what, I know it was engine temp since the motor was running without any coolant for a minute or two. luckily I caught it in time and no seizure it seems to be fine still. Iron block GM 3.8L. glad it wasn't aluminum.

Well, where are you getting the 260F number - dash gauge, scangauge, actual gauge?

It's fine.

On the other hand, how recently have you done your intake manifold gaskets? If it's been a while/never and they're the black nylon ones, they're suspect now.

Probably the dummy gauge on the dash is where he's getting the 260*F temperature from.

yeah from the dash while I was on the way home. I wasn't about to hook it up to anything and try running it haha.. i left it on the road and came back a few hours later with 2+ gallons of coolant. it is fairly accurate though, it never has been over 210 in the time i've owned it. I did also install the aluminum intake gaskets a few months ago.

Last edited:
I still don't know if it is oil or coolant temperature.
Why keep this a secret?
I guess coolant?
I hope your head gaskets are OK. If it read 260 empty, then there were spots with no water that got even hotter.

Originally Posted By: 00firebird
yeah from the dash

Doesn't the Firebird have both gauges, oil temp and coolant temp? If so, which gauge was at 260F and what was the other gauge at?

it was probably coolant temp. which I guess doesn't tell you anything about oil temp.
the other ones are battery and oil pressure.

I''d say the oil is fine and would leave it. However if it really bothers you and you can change it out for $30 or so, then go for it. It will cost just about that much for an analysis, although an analysis will tell you if the head gasket it bad. Food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back