What are signs of bad or blown rear struts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
miles. if you have 200k they are bad but tests include bouncing leaking very hard or noises. any shhht noises means they are bad i just did mine they made the shhhht noise but other than that were fine took them off and they had no rebound just down and stayed down

Originally Posted By: yonyon
If they punch holes through the trunk lid that's a sign the mounts may have gone bad.

I only have maybe 12,000km on these struts but do you mean the strut hat (at the top near the trunk) when you say mount? I made a bad move and didnt replace the hat when i replace the strut.

I've read that newer shocks and struts are much harder to evaluate by bounce test and similar means... And they don't always leak or rattle.

Makes it tough.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I've read that newer shocks and struts are much harder to evaluate by bounce test and similar means... And they don't always leak or rattle.

Makes it tough.

Oh really? Do they take time to seat?

I was curious myself how to check struts/shocks really... My 2008 Scion xB has 70K miles now and just curious when I need to change them out. Cornering/driving seems same as it always has, but if they deteriorate slows I probably would not know unless it got really bad. No bouncing or weird tire wear. Lean in/out of aggressive turns feels about same it always has. Pushing up/down on the car does not really prove anything for me sound or bounce wise. It seems to wiggle 2-3 times and stop.

Really unsure to know when to actually replace them or what life to expect out of them. Generally mostly freeway miles and not really that rough of roads. Car was lowered a bit with aftermarket springs on OE shocks.

I replaced OEM struts all around, with new front mounts at 177k miles on my Mazda MX6 - went with KYB GR2. Could not notice a single difference in handling or ride quality. Car is at 340k now, so I guess it wasn't wasted money at least.
Next time I'm waiting for a leak or something that really shows them as bad. All these people that spout "60k miles - oh they need replacement for sure!" - I don't buy that anymore.

leaking, excess bounce, banging noises over bumps, poor handling, etc.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I replaced OEM struts all around, with new front mounts at 177k miles on my Mazda MX6 - went with KYB GR2. Could not notice a single difference in handling or ride quality. Car is at 340k now, so I guess it wasn't wasted money at least.
Next time I'm waiting for a leak or something that really shows them as bad. All these people that spout "60k miles - oh they need replacement for sure!" - I don't buy that anymore.

Thanks! Yeah with all the early mileage talk it makes me worried about mine. But it all feels fine, so why replace?

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie
Originally Posted By: yonyon
If they punch holes through the trunk lid that's a sign the mounts may have gone bad.

I only have maybe 12,000km on these struts but do you mean the strut hat (at the top near the trunk) when you say mount? I made a bad move and didnt replace the hat when i replace the strut.

Yeah, but you fuss about that car so much you would have noticed any new holes by now. Not to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back